Leopard tortoises in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Garland, Texas
My boyfriend recently got 3 young leopard tortoises. I set them up an enclosure similar to the one i did for my Russians. It'll work for now until we build their permanent enclosure. We have them outside right now to soak up some sun but i'm worried. Even though they have shade and water will they get too hot? I know the sun is good for them but this Texas heat might be too hot. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 137

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Sunlight will get to them even in shade so don't be afraid to put extra shade on them. It was HOT here is dallas already this morning. My outdoor has a shaded box that has a thick roof and then I put another piece of wood up to shade that and then there are the plants to hide under...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It is very possible/highly probable that the babies will over heat in that black tub the way it is currently set up.
Put a thermometer in that hide for an accurate reading. I bet you'd be surprised at just how hot it gets.

My suggestion would be to put that tub on grass somewhere in the shade of a tree. UV rays bounce around and they'll still benefit from being outdoors in the shade. Having them out during the late morning or late afternoon is better than in the heat of the day, too.

Keep those little babies hydrated :)

Sent from my TFOapp

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Yeah you'll cook your tort if it's like that....get a shade cloth and some brush in there....

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
EEEK! Get those babies into some shade STAT. Looking at the picture gave me a sunstroke way out here in So Cal. I agree with the advice already given above, yes, yes, yes! Tortoises need sun to warm/rev up their digestive system. After that, if you read and or observe, they want the comfort of a shady place be it burrows, like the African sulcata or California desert tortoise, or making pallets under plants or grasses, like leopards or the Texas tortoise. That much sun in that black plastic could result in fried babies. I am so glad you are on this forum to ask before something icky happens. Sorry I am being a drama queen but just want your three littles to be safe. : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sides are too high and the black color which attracts the sun will make it too hot. Put them in the grass with a fencing of some type around them and lots of shade. Also, of that's their inside enclosure too, it won't be high enough to put a lid on it for keeping up humidity. Have you read Toms threads, they are below in my post.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Yeah, i moved em since it made me nervouse to have them in the heat. Is indirect sun really enough? Also I am definitely going to look into a more humid environment for them with all i've been reading about pyramiding. I figured this tub was a good start since my boyfriend was keeping them in a cardboard box. Needed to get them in something better asap. I've accepted that I'll basically be raising them for him lol

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay! So glad you are on the forum. You will learn so much here. Read, read, read Tom's threads and follow them to a "T" for Tom. Some fine results are happening. When you see some of the pics, you will be inspired. No lumpy leopards if we can avoid it right? They are in good hands. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.