Do Leopard tortoises have an odor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Recently I visited a turtle/tortoise rescue and when I got to the Leopard Tortoises enclosure I noticed a strange odor. Since there were other species of tortoises in the next enclosure that didn't smell it made me think. Do Leopard Tortoises produce an odor?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. But there poop sometimes smells more than other species. The tortoises themselves have no odor though.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
poop stinks... some is more offensive then others. .. it depends on the diet and health..
some people love the smell of a barnyard.. others think its disgusting..
Husbandy habits can also be an issue.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have been the urine too. Tortoises, not just leopards, save up their urine because they never know when they're going to be able to get another drink. So by the time they pee it out, it smells pretty strong.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I've found my Greeks poop smells worse than my Sulcatas and Leopards, just a random observation of mine not saying its fact.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My leopard doesn't smell bad at all, but the poop, well it curls the hair in your nose.

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Laura said:
poop stinks... some is more offensive then others. .. it depends on the diet and health..
some people love the smell of a barnyard.. others think its disgusting..
Husbandy habits can also be an issue.

It was early morning when I saw them so maybe they all just peed/pooped around the same time. thanks for your comments.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Agreed, I haven't smelled any offensive odor from my Leo. His enclosure just kind of smells like dirt and plants. My roommate hasn't complained, either (her sense of smell is much more intact than mine), so I assume he doesn't stink! His poop doesn't seem to smell much, either, when he goes, but then my sense of smell is pretty awful, so not sure that's saying much. I can say it doesn't stink nearly as bad as the Dragon's poop, or the dog's farts... :p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
No, I don't think any tortoise really has any odor. Their feces certainly do, as well as the substrate you might use in an indoor enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.