Leopard tort specific questions :)

Kupcake

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
1. If I get a hatchling, until what size/age can I safely keep it in a 3’x3’ enclosure?

2. If it goes outside every day for 3+ (here in Las Vegas we get about 290 of sun), do I need a uv light?

3. I have a 5’x10’ outdoor enclosure with shade, dappled shade, and full sun, I heard I can take them out for 1hour per inch. Is this correct?

4. At what size can they stay outside all night, if the enclosure is protected from predators and it stays over 70’ at night? 80’ at night?

I am looking for answers and I love this forum but lately I have been getting answers like “that’s not big enough...” but nothing to go off, if it isn’t big enough then what is? I’m looking for advice and to be pointed in the right direction. That is why I haven’t gotten a tort yet...lol...I want it all set up and running and paradise before they get here!

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hello,

Many well-informed members are going to respond to your questions. Let me first respond to the most important question, also unasked.

Most important first step: getting an animal from a reputable breeder. Unless you do this critical first step, nothing else will matter.

That being said, tortoises are awesome, so do it and enjoy the experience :)

Welcome to the club.

Kupcake

Las Vegas, NV
Hello,

Many well-informed members are going to respond to your questions. Let me first respond to the most important question, also unasked.

Most important first step: getting an animal from a reputable breeder. Unless you do this critical first step, nothing else will matter.

Welcome to the club.
I am hoping to find a breeder on this forum, when the time is right! I want to get everything right first and I don’t know if that is going to take a month or 3. Then when it’s all right I will be finding a good breeder :)

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I am hoping to find a breeder on this forum, when the time is right! I want to get everything right first and I don’t know if that is going to take a month or 3. Then when it’s all right I will be finding a good breeder :)

Don't ask @Tom , he doesn't have any :rolleyes:

Ok, maybe he'll have a few...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. If I get a hatchling, until what size/age can I safely keep it in a 3’x3’ enclosure?

2. If it goes outside every day for 3+ (here in Las Vegas we get about 290 of sun), do I need a uv light?

3. I have a 5’x10’ outdoor enclosure with shade, dappled shade, and full sun, I heard I can take them out for 1hour per inch. Is this correct?

4. At what size can they stay outside all night, if the enclosure is protected from predators and it stays over 70’ at night? 80’ at night?

I am looking for answers and I love this forum but lately I have been getting answers like “that’s not big enough...” but nothing to go off, if it isn’t big enough then what is? I’m looking for advice and to be pointed in the right direction. That is why I haven’t gotten a tort yet...lol...I want it all set up and running and paradise before they get here!

I just attended a falconry meet this last weekend and I got a great quote: Ask 6 falconers how to do something, and you'll get 10 answers.

Same thing applies to tortoise keepers.

I'll answer your questions with assertions based on my experiences over the last 30+ years, and based on what works for me:
  1. I think a 3x3' enclosure would be okay for a tortoise until it starts topping 4". After that, you'll need something bigger. Your tortoise won't suddenly drop dead the day it reaches 4.1 inches in your 3x3' enclosure, but that size will start to restrict movement too much, and this can begin to cause problems.
  2. No. You should not "need" indoor UV under those circumstances, but its still beneficial to run a UV tube in your indoor enclosure. Your tortoise will be able to survive without it, but its still a good idea to have it. You guys get some pretty cold winters there too, so just because it is sunny doesn't mean its warm enough to put the tortoise outside.
  3. Yes. One hour of sun per inch of tortoise is my general rule of thumb, especially for people in exceedingly dry climates like ours. I also soak on the way back in every time, or I soak them while simultaneously sunning them. Use tremendous caution if you do this. Watch the water temp VERY carefully.
  4. They can live outside full time with a heated night box at around 8". Again, a 6 inch tortoise isn't going to drop sea if its sleeps outside in a heated night box, but I prefer to let them get a little more size on before I subject them to the hardships of outdoor living full time.
These are great questions. Please keep asking your questions until you really feel like you've got a better handle on things. The different opinions and conflicting info can be a challenge to sift through, but I leave it to you to decide who you want to listen to. You'll have to figure that part out on your own.

Kupcake

Las Vegas, NV
I just attended a falconry meet this last weekend and I got a great quote: Ask 6 falconers how to do something, and you'll get 10 answers.

Same thing applies to tortoise keepers.

I'll answer your questions with assertions based on my experiences over the last 30+ years, and based on what works for me:
  1. I think a 3x3' enclosure would be okay for a tortoise until it starts topping 4". After that, you'll need something bigger. Your tortoise won't suddenly drop dead the day it reaches 4.1 inches in your 3x3' enclosure, but that size will start to restrict movement too much, and this can begin to cause problems.
  2. No. You should not "need" indoor UV under those circumstances, but its still beneficial to run a UV tube in your indoor enclosure. Your tortoise will be able to survive without it, but its still a good idea to have it. You guys get some pretty cold winters there too, so just because it is sunny doesn't mean its warm enough to put the tortoise outside.
  3. Yes. One hour of sun per inch of tortoise is my general rule of thumb, especially for people in exceedingly dry climates like ours. I also soak on the way back in every time, or I soak them while simultaneously sunning them. Use tremendous caution if you do this. Watch the water temp VERY carefully.
  4. They can live outside full time with a heated night box at around 8". Again, a 6 inch tortoise isn't going to drop sea if its sleeps outside in a heated night box, but I prefer to let them get a little more size on before I subject them to the hardships of outdoor living full time.
These are great questions. Please keep asking your questions until you really feel like you've got a better handle on things. The different opinions and conflicting info can be a challenge to sift through, but I leave it to you to decide who you want to listen to. You'll have to figure that part out on your own.

Thanks Tom. I was going to message you when we were ready because I always read your posts and they are so well worded and informative and your torts are beautiful!

I really appreciate your specific answers they helped me a lot!! What size enclosure for indoor do you think would be more appropriate for up to 6-7”?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
@Elohi Monica has some wonderful, well started leopard hatchlings when you're ready. She'll also give you support as needed when you buy a baby from her.
@Jodie is another I'd buy from.

I kept a leopard hatchling in a 4'x2' glass terrarium for the first year or so. The second year I used a larger tub/tote enclosure. By his 2nd birthday he was 8" and lived outside with a heated house. (This was in SoCal, not OR).

Because my tortoises saw some time outside every day, I did not use indoor UV lighting. The occasional cold spell in the winter might have kept them indoors for a few weeks but even then, I was confident that they'd be ok.

When under 100 grams they were outside for an hour. After that they had 2 hours extending up to 4 hours during that first year. The second year went from 4 to 6hours then eventually all day.

Mine started to stay outside at night once they had the completed heated tort house and were 8".

I hope this helps!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Hello,

Welcome to the club.
I second what Ramsey said. And there are a few reputable and very knowledgeable breeders in here. I got mine a few days ago and I love her to death! I WOULD NOT purchase one from a reptile show unless it's somebody in this forum. I was in your shoes recently and studied, watched videos, and I'm reading each and every thread on the LEOPARD TORTOISE section to learn even more. By the way, I'm on 10 of 188 pages. Lol. But yes, buy from a reputable and knowledgeable breeder.

Attachments

• 20180802_170456.jpg
    20180802_170456.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20180803_183248.jpg
    20180803_183248.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I got mine from ELOHI (Monica). She was awesome! She even texts me periodically to see how my little one is doing and answered each one of my questions, and I had a lot. You've come to the right place to learn hiow to properly care for your future shelled friend. Good luck and read and learn.