Questions about the leopard tortoises..

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanja

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hey There

Before I get to my question please notice that I’m from Denmark and my English aint that good and I'm pretty new here and in the reptile world in general. I’ve read (I think) almost everything there is to read about tortoises online, and expect to buy some books home too at some point just to be safe.
I have recently taken over my step-fathers leopard tortoises (2 pcs. They both are about 2 - 3 years old, maybe older or maybe younger we aren’t sure), but even though I, as I said before have been reading a lot, there still is a lot I am not sure about, mostly because online there is various information which sometimes contradict each other. I hope that when I ask my questions i wont get yelled at because I've already got them but dont know enough about them, however, I am more than willing to read and learn everything there is to find on my leo’s, so they can have a good long life + it could be kinda cool to if they lived long enough to be handed over to my kids (once I get some ofc.).

Before I get to my question, I’ll like start by briefly tell what I already "think" I know about Leo’s:
  • Its an African species
  • They shouldnt be placed in hibernation
  • They love weeds, especially dandelions and clover (mine does at least), but must have a balanced diet with grass, vitamins and calcium as a supplement plus a few days a week, where they fast.
  • AND of course fresh water every day
  • DO NOT give them any fruit
  • They shouldnt grow too fast because they will get a deformed shell and the interior will not match their outer shell
  • They must be warm about 40 degrees C under the heat lamp and approx. 25 degrees C in the "cold" end.
  • A UVA and UVB light is very important for them to incorporate the calcium and the vitamins they get. (It works a bit like the sun outside)
Now for my question, is there anything I've written that does not fit or perhaps is partially true, have I misunderstood something?

And then for it to bathe, how do u bath them, for how long and how often does it have to htake and is it really necessary? I ask bcus I’ve read several different answers to that question all around the internet.
Regards to their homes, most of u agree that 1m2 per tortoises is a minimum, but must only be when they are young / teenagers, for they become the rather large? But how large is large when they are captive?
Well back to their homes, can this be in stores? Have some of You maybe some pictures that could be a source of inspiration for me? Perhaps, if it is not too much, could You please come up with a list of "must have" things / equipment etc. + maybe not "must have", but " accessories " which can make it a little cozy (if one can even say that).

It would also be nice if You could tell me what books I should get so I can read more about these beautiful tortoises!

I would be grateful if U could help me a bit out with my questions :)
Thank you! and sorry this long message.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It sounds like you have the basics covered.

1. I think all your bullet points are good in general. The temperatures are right on. The only thing most here will disagree with is that they shouldn't grow fast. I guess it depends on how you define fast, but rate of growth doesn't seem to have any ill effect on growth by itself.
2. bathing them technically isn't necessary, but a lot of people, including myself, do this often.
3. As big of an enclosure you can give them, the better. They will get largish and they like to wander around. I don't give out maximums or minimums, but just go as big as you can.
4. How big they get depends on where they originated from. anywhere from 8 - 16 inches for most specimens.
5. You can search the housing section of this forum for some good housing ideas.

You can get some good ideas for general care here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz25RbSgOTk

Let's see some pictures!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First let me tell you, your English is just fine. Second, Neal just about said it. I would soak them in warm water about two to three times a week for their age for 20-30 minutes. I also wouldn't waist money on books. Most of the info is old, outdated and some incorrect. If you stick to this forum and the info here, you won't go wrong. Also, no one will yell at you. Ask any question you have, there are many here that will answer. We have all been where your at, so don't worry about asking for help. At the bottom of my post are some really good reads for leopards, even the sulcata threads. Just adjust them to the age of yours, as the majority is for hatchlings. Also, you don't have to fast your leopard, many of us don't.

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
Neal said:
It sounds like you have the basics covered.

1. I think all your bullet points are good in general. The temperatures are right on. The only thing most here will disagree with is that they shouldn't grow fast. I guess it depends on how you define fast, but rate of growth doesn't seem to have any ill effect on growth by itself.
2. bathing them technically isn't necessary, but a lot of people, including myself, do this often.
3. As big of an enclosure you can give them, the better. They will get largish and they like to wander around. I don't give out maximums or minimums, but just go as big as you can.
4. How big they get depends on where they originated from. anywhere from 8 - 16 inches for most specimens.
5. You can search the housing section of this forum for some good housing ideas.

You can get some good ideas for general care here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz25RbSgOTk

Let's see some pictures!

Hey :)
Thanks for u answer, im glad that i havent got it totally wrong :)
'Bout the "they shouldnt grow too fast, what about pyramiding (aint that what its called)? doesnt that happen when they grow too fast. One of mine already have a bit of pyramiding..
I've already uploaded sum pics in the "Introductions" section, Im linking to it here Pictures of my torts :)

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
wellington said:
First let me tell you, your English is just fine. Second, Neal just about said it. I would soak them in warm water about two to three times a week for their age for 20-30 minutes. I also wouldn't waist money on books. Most of the info is old, outdated and some incorrect. If you stick to this forum and the info here, you won't go wrong. Also, no one will yell at you. Ask any question you have, there are many here that will answer. We have all been where your at, so don't worry about asking for help. At the bottom of my post are some really good reads for leopards, even the sulcata threads. Just adjust them to the age of yours, as the majority is for hatchlings. Also, you don't have to fast your leopard, many of us don't.

Thanks for the answers. And thanks for the links, Im gonna check them out :)
Im glad that u see it like that (im referring to "we have all been there" part), not everyone on the Danish forums thinks like that, and yells almost before u get to ask them about things u aint sure about. I like the English forums better that way and also cus ppl here actually answer one and not just ignores the newbies :/

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome! You have done your homework which is nice to see. Like the others said, most of your points are on track. However, I don't like the point about them fasting. They need to eat everyday, or you at least need to provide food for them everyday, especially if they are kept indoors. They need nutrition just like us, so you let them decide if they want to eat or not. I'll tell you mine eat each and every day, and they graze in the yard too - no fasting going on at my house. :p Also, fruits are not all bad - you can give them occasionally as a treat, just don't make it a daily thing. Mine love strawberries, melons, tomatoes, and grapes.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions because you have some of the most knowledeable people on this forum for Leo's, like Neal.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Thanja, Velkommen ti Tortoiseforum.
We really like to see pictures. There are many leopard owners like you here.

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
Greg T said:
Welcome! You have done your homework which is nice to see. Like the others said, most of your points are on track. However, I don't like the point about them fasting. They need to eat everyday, or you at least need to provide food for them everyday, especially if they are kept indoors. They need nutrition just like us, so you let them decide if they want to eat or not. I'll tell you mine eat each and every day, and they graze in the yard too - no fasting going on at my house. :p Also, fruits are not all bad - you can give them occasionally as a treat, just don't make it a daily thing. Mine love strawberries, melons, tomatoes, and grapes.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions because you have some of the most knowledeable people on this forum for Leo's, like Neal.

Ive been told to fast them,, not give them grass or anything only the dried grass they have in their "house" and water 2 - 3 times a week cus they gain weight to fast. So now my question is, how much weight is the suitable weight gain per week - month - year, in general approximately.. The breeders we have here in denmark are aginst fruit, for sum reason, so they told me not to give my leos any. *hmm what a different there is from one country to another* :/ but i will try to give them sum once in a while..

Thanks for ur answer i really appreciate it :)

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
Pics of my lovely Leos

Here they are when my mom first got'em :) Aint they lovely? :p
DSC00315.jpg

And here they are 4 weeks ago when I first got'em
leopardskildpadder01.jpg

Parvo -The Small One
leopardskildpadder04.jpg

Magna -The Big One
leopardskildpadder05.jpg

And one more of Magna :D
leopardskildpadder08.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There is some pyramiding, but I have definitely seen worse. The common belief right now is that pyramiding has nothing to do with how fast they are growing, and it's all to do with being exposed to humidity as a hatchling. From my experience with leopards the size of yours, the most effective way to control pyramiding is to keep them well hydrated. Let them drink daily or every other day. Other helpful tips - keep them outside as much as possible, give them as much room as possible, and provide a varied diet of good food.

They are very good looking tortoises!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Thanja. You have come to the right place for advice. Very pretty leopards you have, you are lucky to have received them. :cool:

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
Neal said:
There is some pyramiding, but I have definitely seen worse. The common belief right now is that pyramiding has nothing to do with how fast they are growing, and it's all to do with being exposed to humidity as a hatchling. From my experience with leopards the size of yours, the most effective way to control pyramiding is to keep them well hydrated. Let them drink daily or every other day. Other helpful tips - keep them outside as much as possible, give them as much room as possible, and provide a varied diet of good food.

They are very good looking tortoises!

Thanks... I give them fresh water when they need or at least twice a day. And they are outside as often as its possible, but that aint much cus of the danish crap weather, and im currently researching the internet for info and inspiration so i can build a bigger and better home for my little ones.
When u say good food, what are u referring to, could u by any chance give me some more examples than the ones I mention at the beginning of this thread?
Thanks in advance.. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Every forum and every person is going to share their OPINION with you. It is difficult sometimes to decide who to listen to. I like to emulate those that are successful at what I am attempting. Eventually you will develop preferences of your own. I am very glad you are here. We all will learn when you ask questions.

1. Pyramiding is not caused by protein or fast growth. There are lots of fast growers all over this forum that are very smooth.
2. I would skip the fruit personally.
3. I would not ever fast them. Back in the 90's it was common over here to feed small quantities, skip days and feed very low nutrition foods. It was an attempt to figure imitate what some people speculated happened on the wild. The result was small stunted tortoises that still pyramided if conditions were not correct. Seems this incorrect info still persists in your country. Some people still promote and believe it here too.

Good luck. And keep reading and asking lots of questions.

thanja

5 Year Member
Denmark
DesertGrandma said:
Hi Thanja. You have come to the right place for advice. Very pretty leopards you have, you are lucky to have received them. :cool:

Thanks for the nice words.. Yes im lucky, and im so excited.. :D Yes I think this is finally the right forum i've found, and im eager to read the threads here and to learn all about how to take good care of my little ones :p :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Status
Not open for further replies.