Light bulb

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I found this light bulb online that is uva and uvb conbined into one. Is it trustworthy? Or is having separated light bulb for each is better? IMG_20190120_193047.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It seems that all the tests I have seen on foreign made bulbs show an extreme variation in UVB output. Quality just does not seem good and life of the bulb can be very short. I also do not like the "all in one" bulbs that produce so much of the near-ir in extreme amounts. I believe this results in just too much carapace desiccation.

I really believe the long tube fluorescent along with a low watt incandescent is the way to go. 2 Low watt incadescents to spread out the basking zone, placed a bit higher and even on a rheostat. Adjust to a wide basking zone of 38°C. (I assume a sulcata since this is posted in sulcata section).

For any UVB/UVA bulbs, I would stick with well know reptile bulb brands if at all possible. IF you have a solarmeter 6.5 you could certainly experiment with off-brands.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and I don't know if being in Hong Kong you can order off Amazon, but you can find the good bulbs, well known brands, on Amazon

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
It seems that all the tests I have seen on foreign made bulbs show an extreme variation in UVB output. Quality just does not seem good and life of the bulb can be very short. I also do not like the "all in one" bulbs that produce so much of the near-ir in extreme amounts. I believe this results in just too much carapace desiccation.

I really believe the long tube fluorescent along with a low watt incandescent is the way to go. 2 Low watt incadescents to spread out the basking zone, placed a bit higher and even on a rheostat. Adjust to a wide basking zone of 38°C. (I assume a sulcata since this is posted in sulcata section).

For any UVB/UVA bulbs, I would stick with well know reptile bulb brands if at all possible. IF you have a solarmeter 6.5 you could certainly experiment with off-brands.
It says it can "last a year", but it's not garunteed. So I'm not sure. And yes, it's fir sulcata.

Yeah I've been getting a lot of suggestions of getting the tube fluorescent. But I can't seem to find the suggested brand on Taobao(Chinese amazon), which is annoying.

Any well-known brands providing the two-in-one bulb that you suggest me to get?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your capable of putting your Tort outside for sun a few hours a week you really don't need a UVB bulb

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would think in your area it would be easy to get your tortoise some natural sunlight a few times a week for an hour or two. Even now, the coldest part of the year, you still have most all days that get to 21°-22°. IN the sun, that is warm enough to put your tortoise outside. If it is a young sulcata, you could bathe the tortoise outside in the sun.

That way you really won't need a UVB bulb. Just get good amibient lighting for its enclosure and basking lights as suggested above.