Lighting Advice for a new Table

Garthia

I just finished building the frame work of a 8'x4' table and I will be adding a hidebox soon on one end. My question is what is the best method to heat/light the other end of the table. Should I get two MBV bulbs and two CHE for heat and light or should I go with only two MBV bulbs. Brands and wattage of bulbs and CHE is greatly appreciated. By the way I have a sulcata hatchling and a leopard hatchling

Thank You.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We don't recommend keeping different species of tortoise in the same habitat.

Personally, I like the Mercury Vapor Bulb. I place it at one end of the habitat and then a black light fixture at the other end. I sometimes keep the black light on all the time, but occasionally it gets too hot because my baby habitat is covered and I have to turn it off during the day. I keep the habitat covered to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the house out. Here's a picture of my baby habitat:

baby habitat 3-29-16 a.jpg baby habitat 3-29-16 b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't need two MVBs. If you want light at the other end of the table, you can use a regular incandescent bulb. The CHE works fine for night heat and extra day heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just finished building the frame work of a 8'x4' table and I will be adding a hidebox soon on one end. My question is what is the best method to heat/light the other end of the table. Should I get two MBV bulbs and two CHE for heat and light or should I go with only two MBV bulbs. Brands and wattage of bulbs and CHE is greatly appreciated. By the way I have a sulcata hatchling and a leopard hatchling

Thank You.

Hello and welcome.

Is the whole room that your table will be in heated and humidified year round? If not, it will be very difficult to maintain the correct conditions in an open table. Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Garthia

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We don't recommend keeping different species of tortoise in the same habitat.

Personally, I like the Mercury Vapor Bulb. I place it at one end of the habitat and then a black light fixture at the other end. I sometimes keep the black light on all the time, but occasionally it gets too hot because my baby habitat is covered and I have to turn it off during the day. I keep the habitat covered to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler air from the house out. Here's a picture of my baby habitat:

View attachment 168822 View attachment 168823

Just thought you would like to know that the little sulcata was given to a good home and the enclosure will be shared between two leos called Marco and Ghangus

Garthia

I have decided to go with one 160w MVB bulb from mega ray and a 100w CHE to add to the ambiantt temp of the enclosure as far as humidity I will be adding a humidifier to the small room