Lighting for Indian stars

Joetheyido

Location (City and/or State)
UK London
Hello, I have just built me new 3ft by 4ft viv for stars that will be for a year or two till I move then it will be extended but I'm struggling with what setup to use. I have a Arcadia d3 t8 tube light that sits 34cm to the top of the big star, by what Arcadia says on there web sight for Indian stars that it should be between 30 and 37cm but was wondering what other people think and if that sounds right? Would it hurt to get a t5 lamp or could that be to much uv?

The other thing was I have a 100watt floodbulb In there that is doing pretty good, it gets to 100 streight under it and at the other end of Viv it dosent get lower then 71 and torts seem to like it, do I need a che if the floodlight is on a dimmer thermostat and doing the job? The bulb itself won't get any hotter.

Cheers. The torts arnt permanently in there yet, only when I'm at home watching them. Is there anything people think I could do to improve im thinking of getting rid of ramp and putting another hid or more substrate with plants.

Attachments

• 1497440860182.jpg
    1497440860182.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like what you have set up is excellent, but you are missing one crucial element. You need a CHE or RHP set on a thermostat to maintain ambient at 80 or above in the whole enclosure. 71 is too cold. Stars like it hot, so it will be fine if ambient creeps into the 90s during the day with your basking bulb, but don't let it drop below 80 at night.

The ONLY way to answer your lighting/UV tube question is with a UV meter. Sounds like what your have will work fine as is, but there is only one way to know for sure. In your climate, with this species, a UV meter should be considered essential. This is the standard:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65....t=6.5UVIndex&gclid=CKn7gPD8ztMCFdu3wAodMbUIyg

Having a meter can also save you hundreds of dollars in the long run because you won't be replacing and throwing away bulbs that are perfectly good and working fine. Just an added side benefit...

Joetheyido

UK London
Thanks Tom, I have a che ready to in there so will put that in, will need to get thermostat for it, would a basic pulse stat be fine for it? and would you keep the dimmer thermostat on the light as well?

I will keep the temp at 80 and will try and see if I can buy a uv meter as soon as possible, like you say it would come in handy and for my others torts to.