lighting

Moshie

I just purchased the Arcadia T5 12% light but cannot find anyplace that states how far this needs to be from my tortoise. I have a three month old Indian Star. I have been searching videos about light set ups but am just getting more confused. Do I also need another source of light to maintain enough heat for her basking area? Any help and advice would be welcomed. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I mount my fluorescent tubes 12" from the tortoise's back. Those tubes put out very little heat,so yes, you still need a basking spot. The CHE (ceramic heat emitter) puts out heat without light if you'd like to go that route.

Moshie

I mount my fluorescent tubes 12" from the tortoise's back. Those tubes put out very little heat,so yes, you still need a basking spot. The CHE (ceramic heat emitter) puts out heat without light if you'd like to go that route.

Thanks! I have a Mercury Vapor bulb I have been using for her UV light during the day.. I also have a ceramic heat emitter I turn on at night. Should I just leave it on all the time? How long should I have the Arcadia light on? In my search for answers, I have got any where from an hour to six hours.