Lighting for indoor enclosure??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes. That's what I use. But you'll need a different heat source for night time (when you turn off the "sun").

The heat and light from the bulb lasts a very long time, however, the UV portion of the fixture only lasts about 6 months.

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
Yes. That's what I use. But you'll need a different heat source for night time (when you turn off the "sun").

The heat and light from the bulb lasts a very long time, however, the UV portion of the fixture only lasts about 6 months.

So they still need to be replaced yearly, assuming only used during the colder months.
Maybe a tube with a heat lamp will suit me better then.

Thanks Yvonne :)

PS you're up very late :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I typed up this lighting explanation for another member a couple of months back. It explains all the elements of heating and lighting pretty well.

"Let me break down the heating and lighting thing. You need three or four elements:
1. Heat. During the day this is best accomplished with 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store set on digital timers. These also give some light. Move them higher or lower to get the basking temp under them correct. I buy them in 6 packs, so if they burn out I always have a spare on hand.
2. Light. Sometimes the basking bulb and ambient room light are enough. If not, use a tube style florescent strip light form the hardware store. Run it on the same timer as the heat lamps. Try to get a bulb in the 5000-6500K color range. The more common 2500K color range bulbs look yellowish.
3. Ambient temp maintenance and night heat. Tortoises need it dark at night, but still warm. This is best accomplished with the use of a CHE in a ceramic based fixture. Get the 11" ceramic based domes from Home Depot for all your heat lamps. As long as room temp is above 60F, you should not need night heat for any of the Testudo species.
4. UV. Best to sun them for an hour two or more times a week. Its okay to skip a few weeks over winter and this will do no harm. If you live in a cold overcast climate, you will need to provide some artificial UV. Several options for this:
a. Use a mercury vapor bulb, like the power sun for your basking bulb. Use this in the Home Depot fixture I mentioned, not in a small pet store dome or deep dome. Replace it every fall.
b. Use a long tube type 10.0 florescent bulb. These MUST be mounted no more than 10-12" from the tortoise to be effective.
c. Get an Arcadia 12% HO bulb from lightyourreptiles.com. These are great, but they make a lot of UV. Mount it at least 18" and as much as 26" away from the tortoise and put it on its own timer for only about 4 hours a day."

I recommend a UV meter for any one who relies on indoor UV for several months a year. Like this:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome Tom... Thanks, now just need to find those Home Depot lamps here in NZ.

Cheers

Did all of that explain what you needed to know? I've posted it a few times and I'd love to hear your perspective on the matter.

They've got to have bird brooder lamps, or clamp lamps or shop lamps of some sort in your country that would be cheaper than $70. I unfortunately don't know how to help you with that part...

Neil fuller

Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Tom, yes very helpful.

Just to clarify, the UV is only needed to be on for a few hours per day, correct?
I intend to have the indoor table in a room where the window is actually the full width of one side so plenty of natural light during the daytime. So with this in mind i'm thinking that i just need a che or lamp for heat and a uvb tube or the repti sun mvb for the uv part.
The other thing is i want this to be a tidy looking setup,or i'll be in trouble with the better half :) So don't mind spending a bit more for some better looking equipment.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/reptiles-turtles/accessories/auction-1057742827.htm for the lamp or CHE
Does that do the trick, not deep but a larger dish.

Thanks again

Neil