Lighting for redfoot

janebartley

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I was planning on getting a ceramic heat emitter for my vivarium, I don’t have it with me yet but It’s 6ftx2ftx2ft. I haven’t bought one before so which is the most reliable brand, what wattage for this size viv, and where abouts do I place it? Can you change the temperature at all on them? If not what is the usual temperature they provide?

Also uvb tubes- what brand/size/wattage?
I get easily confused by the lighting

For my horsefield I had a zoo med powersun uvb and heat lamp on a table but now that I’m going to purchase a redfoot and they have different needs I’ve been told this will be far too hot

daniellenc

Maryland
A 100 watt CHE on a thermostat set to 85 will heat that size cage. Any brand is fine in my opinion. Then you’ll need a 24inch 5.0 UV tube and your good. Set the UV on a 12 hour timer which is $10 from a hardware store and done!

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thankyou! I honestly just can’t seem to process all of the sizes/wattage ect easily in my head!

What is the difference in wattage based on?

Does the thermostat come with the che emitter?

And do I have to keep it on constantly or off at night?

Sorrry for all the questions :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The larger the number of Watts, the greater the amount of heat that is emitted. For all but the biggest enclosures 100W is usually enough

The thermostat is bought separately from the CHE

The thermostat ensures the CHE only comes on when the temperature dips below a set temperature. A CHE run using a thermostat can therefore be safely left on 24/7 as it will only cut in when needed.

Joetheyido

UK London
I have white python ceramic with the gaurd that goes with it, its 60 or 100w can't remember, and I have the same size viv.
I put mine in middle of the viv.
Get a thermostat for it and set it at the right temperature and it will keep it at what you have set it all the time.