Lighting thoughts

z2880

Location (City and/or State)
MA
Hey guys, here is the enclosure I'm go fishing up for my 15 year old ish Russian tortoise named Tort.

I'm planning a t5 uvbulb running diagonal across the 90 degree about 30"

And a basking bulb on the right side with a CHE as well.

People suggest to add more light. Could I use a dubble strip light atvth e 90 one bulb uvb and the other a led ??

Or do I not need any other light.

Here's a pic.
20190130_192844.jpg 20190130_192836.jpg

z2880

MA
and do i want 6% or 12% uv bulb i have read so much i may have confussed myself...

z2880

MA
Anyone 60 views no response
I need to order lights this weekend

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I were setting up that nice space, I would mount a T5 fluorescent UVB diagonal across under the TV (?) to hang down about 12" from the top of the tortoise's shell. Then I'd mount a CHE over one side of the enclosure and a basking light over the other side. But let's ask one of our more experienced members how they would set up that space - @Markw84

z2880

MA
If I were setting up that nice space, I would mount a T5 fluorescent UVB diagonal across under the TV (?) to hang down about 12" from the top of the tortoise's shell. Then I'd mount a CHE over one side of the enclosure and a basking light over the other side. But let's ask one of our more experienced members how they would set up that space - @Markw84
Thank you, you research the he'll out of this then you over read!!!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would run a T5 6000K fluorescent or full spectrum grow light along the line of the TV for ambient lighting. That's probably a 34" length.
I would run an 18" T5 UVB 10.0% across the right side.
Next to that I would hang a 65 watt incadescent flood bulb.

This gives nice ambient over the whole enclosure, and a good basking zone on the right side.

I don't think you need a CHE for a russian that is 15+ yrs old in an indoor room. Your T5s and basking incandescent will create enough daytime heat.

I would have the ambient T5 fluorescent along with the basking incandescent on the same time for 14 hrs a day.
I would have the T5 UVB on another timer on for 5 hours midday.

I would not put this under a TV. I would think that very inconsistent light from the TV would drive the tortoise crazy especially watching TV in the evening.

z2880

MA
I would run a T5 6000K fluorescent or full spectrum grow light along the line of the TV for ambient lighting. That's probably a 34" length.
I would run an 18" T5 UVB 10.0% across the right side.
Next to that I would hang a 65 watt incadescent flood bulb.

This gives nice ambient over the whole enclosure, and a good basking zone on the right side.

I don't think you need a CHE for a russian that is 15+ yrs old in an indoor room. Your T5s and basking incandescent will create enough daytime heat.

I would have the ambient T5 fluorescent along with the basking incandescent on the same time for 14 hrs a day.
I would have the T5 UVB on another timer on for 5 hours midday.

I would not put this under a TV. I would think that very inconsistent light from the TV would drive the tortoise crazy especially watching TV in the evening.

Thank you Mark,

I checked the cast of light from the tv and it is very minimal, in the tank due to how far it comes from the wall, and just in case I have it on a adjustable so I can pull the tv out further.

Do you think I could get away with a double light fixture on the angle of the tv line,
As I need the CHE for night her my house is only around 60-63 in mid winter...

Once again thank you for your advice

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey guys, here is the enclosure I'm go fishing up for my 15 year old ish Russian tortoise named Tort.

I'm planning a t5 uvbulb running diagonal across the 90 degree about 30"

And a basking bulb on the right side with a CHE as well.

People suggest to add more light. Could I use a dubble strip light atvth e 90 one bulb uvb and the other a led ??

Or do I not need any other light.

Here's a pic.
View attachment 263659 View attachment 263660
Nice woodwork pocket screws I love them.