Lighting

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
Can they breath ok?
It looks so suffocating.

I was just thinking, in a natural environment they are in the forest or desert. And I thought they just look for humid spots around.
So if my soil is humid for her to dig, I have some water bath and some plants maybe it would have some humid spots for her to thrive 🤔

Is it wrong thinking?

For the set up I will see what is the best I can do
Thank you very much

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Can they breath ok?
It looks so suffocating.

I was just thinking, in a natural environment they are in the forest or desert. And I thought they just look for humid spots around.
So if my soil is humid for her to dig, I have some water bath and some plants maybe it would have some humid spots for her to thrive 🤔

Is it wrong thinking?

For the set up I will see what is the best I can do
Thank you very much
I understand where you’re coming from, I myself was apprehensive when first seeing this kind of set up, but I promise they don’t suffocate in there, it’s by no means air tight, and doing daily things like water changes and feedings keeps fresh air flow, it’s not much different to tortoise and other reptiles that are kept in closed chamber vivariums🙂
After re reading your thread properly I see you have a young Greek tortoise, I know those guys as adults have lower humidity and hatchlings need around 80%, I’ll let the other more experienced members chime in for you there as to whether the cover is a good buy at this point🙂
We have a red foot so I’m used to the fact we have to maintain higher humidity all round

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sorry but do you have an example of lamp stand for tube light?

I have never seen this before.

I will continue looking
Don't worry!
With Arcadia fixture you can two common light stands and use plastic zip ties to fix mounting brackets to a hook or pole.

If you are on DIY side you can detach the meshed lid and add sidewalls (this way you will create a closed chamber enclosure and enough height to mount lights). I was thinking about something like kitchen cabinet legs and front panels, yet there cheaper options of course.

Also you can find a plastic storage box of suitable size to replace the meshed lid.

If I remember, your tortoise is 3 inches now and because it's a greek tortoise it has a lot growth ahead. So making a "closed chamber" with high humidity will be beneficial for smooth growth.

In the wild they can find suitable microclimate by burrowing or hiding in the low plants and grasses. At the same time our enclosures aren't nearly the same - heat lamps are more drying than the sunlight, for example.

South Korea
Hello,

I am doing shopping on Amazon now to get the UV light (planning to do some DIY at home during the weekend.

I would like to get the LED light at the same time.
Is this okay?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ST2I9O/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
81zTZsRXrzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am planning to stick it to the top of the sides of the enclosure but not facing down to not blind the the tortoise. (if it can stick on wood though )...
(in the image, if we imagine the side whithout led to be the bottom of the enclosure, I am thinking to put only 2 bands on each top side facing the other side (I tried to find a picture online to illustrate what I am trying to say)

F7D4WOAI49RVSM7.png

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello,

I am doing shopping on Amazon now to get the UV light (planning to do some DIY at home during the weekend.

I would like to get the LED light at the same time.
Is this okay?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ST2I9O/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
81zTZsRXrzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am planning to stick it to the top of the sides of the enclosure but not facing down to not blind the the tortoise. (if it can stick on wood though )...
(in the image, if we imagine the side whithout led to be the bottom of the enclosure, I am thinking to put only 2 bands on each top side facing the other side (I tried to find a picture online to illustrate what I am trying to say)

F7D4WOAI49RVSM7.png
This could work, but don't forget to order a compatible power supply (it seems that it's not included). Actually, it's better to place the lights on the top facing straight down - it will be easier on tortoises eyes.

A simple LED bulb or two probably would be easier to install and cheaper. Or something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDLSF886/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

South Korea
This could work, but don't forget to order a compatible power supply (it seems that it's not included). Actually, it's better to place the lights on the top facing straight down - it will be easier on tortoises eyes.

A simple LED bulb or two probably would be easier to install and cheaper. Or something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDLSF886/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Thank you I will have a look.
I saw a message before about LED 5000K or something, that's why I was searching for something like that.

South Korea

This one looks cool and similar to what you showed me.
And it seems I can control the light intensity (there are different light intensities I think (3, 4.5, 6.5K))

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240610_102734.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610_102734.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240610_102848.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610_102848.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
And it seems I can control the light intensity (there are different light intensities I think (3, 4.5, 6.5K))

is this one battery powered?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Numbers with K in the end (like 5000K) are the color temperature. Roughly, the hue of the white light - 6500K is bluish like mid-day sun, 5000K is a "neutral" daylight which looks more natural and 3500K is a warm light (like at sunset or an incandescent bulb).

Other lamp characteristic is the light intensity (measured in lumens or lux) - how bright is the light source. It's related to lamp wattage. The LED desk lamp from my link is 24W and from your link is 2.5W - roughly their brightness is 10 times different. I would aim for 8-10W at least.

Another thing I see is that lamp draws 2.5W but charging port is 500mW, it may not keep up with charging when lamp is on full day.

In summer, in a brightly lit room ambient light is less important so you have some time to choose one.