Lights and heat for Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcbear13

5 Year Member
Hi everyone
I am new to tortoise keeping and everything I read contradicts what I previously read so I am asking for your help.

I have a young russian tort in a 20 gallon aquarium. He will soon be in a 4 x 2 table so the requested info would apply to that also.

I am so confused on the lighting and heat lamp needed.

He is kept in a room that is warm and when I turn the heat lamp on it gets so hot so fast.

When and for how long do I keep the uv light on.

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated

Thank you so much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I use a CHE on a thermostat and is set for 75. I then have a mercury vapor bulb for basking. That is on for two hours, unless he cant go outside for the day, then I leave the mercury bulb on for 8-12 hours. It will be hard to keep a small area heat regulated correctly. Will be easier when you get the table done, but if you could make the table larger, like a 5x3 or 6x3 it would be even better and easier.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Day time:

1 light for the basking spot. This can be a regular house light 65 watt or 75 watt in a dome fixture. Hang the fixture over a spot in the enclosure and raise or lower the fixture until the temperature below it (at tortoise level) is 95F. For accuracy use a digital probe thermometer our infrared temp gun.

If your tortoise will spend a few hours a week outside then you don't need a UV light.
If not, provide a second light that emits UV. The long tube florescent bulbs are good. Do not use a coil or compact UV bulb. They have a reputation for causing eye problems.

Have both of these day lights on a timer. On for 12 hours, off for 12 hours. It's a day/night cycle.

For night time:

If your house stays warmer than 60F then you do not need anything at night for heating or lighting.

Does this help you?

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.