Limes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

5 Year Member
My sulcata ate a piece of lime, and I was wondering if it was okay. He didn't eat much, it was actually really cute, he took a bite, then another, then pulled away fast and shook his head. Like he tasted the sour of it. It was the first time, and it was an accident that he even got some.
The main question is are citrus fruits okay? or should torts avoid them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't believe they are suppose to have acid fruit like that. But others may know more.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Many diet plans call for occasional citrus for variety, vitamins, etc., but they are pretty acidic for a regular option. Naval oranges are a good choice, if you plan to use them at all, because they have a good calcium load.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
yeah, LOL... Herman (CDT) took a bite of an orange and then did everything he could to get away from it....so needless to say it was not a big hit...although I will likely try it again this season and see what they do....finding a new once in awhile treat is always a quest here... :D

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
If they eat it just makes sure its not very often. A one time thing won't hurt your tortoise, just if its a constant then that's when there's an issue.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I would worry about the high acidity of citrus altering their intestinal pH and making it an inhospitable environment for natural /necessary microbial commensals. I doubt a bite of lime would be harmful (my big kids will occasionally nab a fallen persimmon) but I would not advocate introducing citrus as a routine part of a Sulcatas diet.

steven

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I figured that a little wouldn't be bad, and I was right!

Status
Not open for further replies.