little giant incubator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
i bought a little giant incubator and i need help setting it up for my sulcata eggs. i currently have them in a home made incubator and wanna transfer them to the little giant. Do i fill the bottom up with vermiculite or keep them in there containers? Thanks

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
First, get the incubator stable at the temps you need. This may take 24-48 hours, but is needed to know the temps will not change.

I used deli type cups for the eggs, but my eggs are tiny. I would recommend the cup as well if you can easily fit the eggs in it.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
bettinge said:
First, get the incubator stable at the temps you need. This may take 24-48 hours, but is needed to know the temps will not change.

I used deli type cups for the eggs, but my eggs are tiny. I would recommend the cup as well if you can easily fit the eggs in it.

Thanks but do you have any pictures id like to see some pictures please. thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use plastic shoe boxes for my sulcata eggs. I pre-wet the vermiculite at a 1:1 ratio of water to vermiculite by WEIGHT, NOT volume. One problem with the Little Giant is the low ceilings. While you are waiting for the temps to stabilize overnight and day you can spend some time hunting for just the right size plastic containers. I've had good luck at Walmart, Target and Smart and Final. I drill 4-6 quarter inch holes near the tops of my egg containers on opposing sides for a little cross ventilation. I rarely add any water during incubation until the very end when I know they are due (90-100 days at 88 degrees.) If you find the right size boxes, you can fit two in each incubator. I'm running four of them right now! 55 eggs! Don't forget to fill the water channels on the bottom of the incubator too. The Little Giant has a little raised square in the middle of the bottom with some channels for water. I don't use the metal screen thing.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Tom said:
I use plastic shoe boxes for my sulcata eggs. I pre-wet the vermiculite at a 1:1 ratio of water to vermiculite by WEIGHT, NOT volume. One problem with the Little Giant is the low ceilings. While you are waiting for the temps to stabilize overnight and day you can spend some time hunting for just the right size plastic containers. I've had good luck at Walmart, Target and Smart and Final. I drill 4-6 quarter inch holes near the tops of my egg containers on opposing sides for a little cross ventilation. I rarely add any water during incubation until the very end when I know they are due (90-100 days at 88 degrees.) If you find the right size boxes, you can fit two in each incubator. I'm running four of them right now! 55 eggs! Don't forget to fill the water channels on the bottom of the incubator too. The Little Giant has a little raised square in the middle of the bottom with some channels for water. I don't use the metal screen thing.

Ok Tom is it ok if i use the metal mesh?

do i open the red ventalation holes on the top of the incubator there is two of them? they are red things u pop out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The mesh won't hurt anything, it just takes up more space in an already tight spot. I wish they would make these incubators just a little bigger. 2 or 3" in each direction would make a world of difference. Aldabraman knows what I'm talking about... haha

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I believe the red pop out buttons are there to mount the egg rotator or air circulation fan, needed for chicken eggs. I leave the red buttons in.

My incubator. These Hermanns eggs are only 11-15 grams each.

Attachments

• First eggs.JPG
    First eggs.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 36

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
bettinge said:
I believe the red pop out buttons are there to mount the egg rotator or air circulation fan, needed for chicken eggs. I leave the red buttons in.

Do you use the thermometer it comes with? or should i use a digital one?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
murdocjunior said:
bettinge said:

I never used the one it came with. I use a wireless digital one from Home Depot, that tracks highs and lows. They're about $15 and are excellent and seem very accurate.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
:)
bettinge said:
murdocjunior said:
bettinge said:

I never used the one it came with. I use a wireless digital one from Home Depot, that tracks highs and lows. They're about $15 and are excellent and seem very accurate.

Ok thanks:tort:

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
murdocjunior said:
:)
bettinge said:
murdocjunior said:
bettinge said:

Ok thanks:tort:

I have one like this from Lowes, but prefer the less expensive accurate thermometer from Home Depot.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Wireless-Remote-Thermometer?highlight=thermometer#axzz1Jtgz9yXT

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I use the same method as Tom.He actually told me about the plastic shoeboxes and I've had very good luck using them.I just had to experiment with the ventilation holes a little until I got the % humidity I was looking for.I leave the red plugs in my Little Giants.I open them briefly twice a day,so they get enough fresh air.I'm a little bit of a thermometer fanatic.I'm using Accurite thermometer/hygrometer combos.I have a scientific guaranteed calibrated thermometer that I check them against for accuracy.I also use at least two per incubator.I've recently been switching over to reptobators and like them even better than the little giants.You get a little more interior room .They hold the temp exactly where you set it and room temprature doesn't affect them much.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
jackrat said:
I use the same method as Tom.He actually told me about the plastic shoeboxes and I've had very good luck using them.I just had to experiment with the ventilation holes a little until I got the % humidity I was looking for.I leave the red plugs in my Little Giants.I open them briefly twice a day,so they get enough fresh air.I'm a little bit of a thermometer fanatic.I'm using Accurite thermometer/hygrometer combos.I have a scientific guaranteed calibrated thermometer that I check them against for accuracy.I also use at least two per incubator.I've recently been switching over to reptobators and like them even better than the little giants.You get a little more interior room .They hold the temp exactly where you set it and room temprature doesn't affect them much.

Can anyone direct me to the thread about Toms plactic shoe box's? (if there is one) Sounds interesting. Or tell me the concept.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
dalano73 said:
There is so much to do when you have eggs, must be stressful.

Actually there is not much to do with incubating eggs! Its the fun of learning new methods, keeping records, and trying to improve the succuss rate.
I think learning, building. experimenting and sharing is the fun of having reptiles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have found a lot of the Home Depot style digital thermometers to be about 2 degrees low. Which means 88 on the dial is really 90 which is getting darn close to scute abnormalities for sulcatas.

I find the ones that come with the incubators are pretty accurate. I also have at least two or three thermometer per incubator.

I'm going to have to look up "Reptobators" now Jeff. They sound good. Right now my favorite is the Hovabator.

Scott, there's no thread on the shoe boxes. In fact I just thought everyone did it this way. I've just always done it that way, even in the old days when I used to use the old shoe box on bricks in the cooler with water and an aquarium heater... I just spelled it out in post #4 above. I'm happy to share whatever you want to know about it. Funny, it just goes to show that we can learn from anybody. You've got WAY more breeding and incubating experience than I do.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have used these incubators for over ten years and have hatched hundreds. I find them very reliable and simple. I do things a little different and it has always worked well for me. I remove the screen piece and plug all holes with medical tape. I then mix vermiculite and distilled water, 50/50 and fill the entire bottom portion of the incubator. I then place a bowl in the middle for humidity control. I place all the eggs about 1/4 to 1/2 way into the vermiculite.

I have tried many thermometers, I have found and only use Traceable thermometers, they are perfected and very reliable. I order them from Cole-Parmer, about $50. I have used many humidity guages, still not satisfied with any.

I have purchased top of the line incubators, some over $2000, none are not any better than these simple Little Giants. We have ten or more going at one time, always dependable!

Many methods work, I know some that simply use a closet!

Best of luck with your eggs sir.

2zsqi9y.jpg

hwigee.jpg

343ho60.jpg

nd3hqa.jpg

This is a picture I just took to show you, these eggs are all the ones questionable from various clutches this year.

2dkmmaq.jpg

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
ALDABRAMAN said:
I have used these incubators for over ten years and have hatched hundreds. I find them very reliable and simple. I do things a little different and it has always worked well for me. I remove the screen piece and plug all holes with medical tape. I then mix vermiculite and distilled water, 50/50 and fill the entire bottom portion of the incubator. I then place a bowl in the middle for humidity control. I place all the eggs about 1/4 to 1/2 way into the vermiculite.

I have tried many thermometers, I have found and only use Traceable thermometers, they are perfected and very reliable. I order them from Cole-Parmer, about $50. I have used many humidity guages, still not satisfied with any.

I have purchased top of the line incubators, some over $2000, none are not any better than these simple Little Giants. We have ten or more going at one time, always dependable!

2zsqi9y.jpg

hwigee.jpg

343ho60.jpg

nd3hqa.jpg

This is a picture I just took to show you, these eggs are all the ones questionable from various clutches this year.

2dkmmaq.jpg

awesome man thanks for the pictures. Hey do u moist the vermiculite or just the bowl of water does the trick for not having to mist the vermiculite?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
murdocjunior said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

2zsqi9y.jpg

hwigee.jpg

343ho60.jpg

nd3hqa.jpg

2dkmmaq.jpg

awesome man thanks for the pictures. Hey do u moist the vermiculite or just the bowl of water does the trick for not having to mist the vermiculite?

I always mix the vermiculite with distilled water 50/50 at the very beginning. I add water in the bowl(s) as time goes on inorder to keep/maintain the humidity in the 90's. Aldabra eggs require high humidity during the entire incubation cycle, and a little higher at the end when they begin to hatch out. You are welcome, Greg.

P.S. I have friends that never mix water with the substrate (always bone dry) and just keep water in seperate containers for humidity. I have always done it my way, however I have seen many variations and different ways work for others. A point I always like to add is that things can be different for different species. One thing I think is important is using a good thermometer, we have never had a deformed hatchling or not even one split scute. I give value to a consistant temperature throughout the entire incubation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.