Little Sore on Jaw Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Hey guys!

Good news - Dante is eating! Bad news - He managed to injure himself in the process :( Goof...

He must of had something caught in his mouth because I found him furiously swiping at his jaw, and noticed the little bloody crack at the point where the top and bottom jaw meet. It's much more noticeable when his jaw is opened.

Should I leave it be? Or add an ointment (which one)? I'm assuming this is something that should heal itself, as long as he stops scratching at it...

20130307_172357-1-1_zps7c31e7c6.jpg

IMG_1710_zps08221168.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
leonardo the tmnt said:
He probably tried to eat something to big and over stretched its mouth

Is that a common occurrence with torts? He was eating with a lot of gusto today!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
So it has been a couple of days and I haven't seen any improvement :( It does seem to be from opening his mouth too far, as it's on both sides of his mouth. One side bleeds a little bit when he eats.

Is there anyway to help it heal? It seems he re-opens the sore every time he eats! :(

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Sounds like you need to keep that skin moisturized and supple. I know I mention it a lot but vitamin E oil has worked well for me and for my reptiles when they needed it. Dabbing it on those wounds once a day might help. Neosporin or something would help moisturize too but I'd worry about the antibiotics in it getting in his mouth. Vitamin E helps skin heal anyway, I'd try it, it's about three dollars a bottle in the supplements section at walmart.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would use a warm water flush several times a day...this way it will keep cleaned up while it is healing...and yes, that is a spot that will take more time to heal due to the moving parts it is part of....keep it clean with warm water flushes....you can also try to dab the spots with some liquid bandage like from band aid brand.....

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Thank you for your help! I'll flush it and keep it moisturized. I actually have some Vit E and Neosporin on hand, so I'll give them both a try!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Just an update for anyone else who may encounter this problem:

We put Vitamin E on his jaw during the day (when he may accidentally consume it while eating) and then Neosporin at night when he went to bed (when we wouldn't get it in his mouth somehow). Within 2 days, there was no fresh blood when he ate and he healed very quickly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.