Little turtle food question

jack0310

Location (City and/or State)
Hongkong
After a sad experience in the pet shop, I got a leopard that was hatched for about 4 days from a local breeder this time, but his advice confused me. He taught me to only provide 5m21 in the short term. Will this pose a risk to life? ? Also can I mix optimized52 and 5m21? Thanks!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705787936748.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705787936748.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P_20240206_154938.jpg
    P_20240206_154938.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After a sad experience in the pet shop, I got a leopard that was hatched for about 4 days from a local breeder this time, but his advice confused me. He taught me to only provide 5m21 in the short term. Will this pose a risk to life? ? Also can I mix optimized52 and 5m21? Thanks!
Hatchlings need to be in a brooder box set up for at least 7-10 days after hatching. I don't move them to an enclosure until after the yolk sac is 100% absorbed and the umbilical scar healed up.

During their first few weeks is when they learn what is food and what to eat. I feed them something different every single day in their first couple fo weeks. Different weeds, flowers, succulents, leaves from grape vines, mulberry trees, hibiscus, lavatera, and also an ever changing assortment of grocery store greens and pellets mixed in. If the breeder doesn't do this, which most do not, if makes it exceedingly difficult for the people who buy the babies to introduce all these good foods later on.

When I do finally move them to an enclosure, I put a familiar favorite food scattered all over the substrate. They can't take more than a few steps without walking into something they recognize as food. Over the next few days I reduce the food scattering until the food is just in their food bowls. This prevents them from nibbling on the substrate too much when they first see it.

To answer your questions:
1. Will this pose a risk to his life? No. It won't kill him, but it is definitely NOT the right way to go and will make your life difficult later on when you want him to eat the correct tortoise foods.
2. Can you mix in Optimised 52? Yes. Yes you can.

Here are two threads on how to start babies and what to look for. The second one features sulcatas, but the lessons are the same for both species:

As always, questions are welcome.

jack0310

Hongkong
Hatchlings need to be in a brooder box set up for at least 7-10 days after hatching. I don't move them to an enclosure until after the yolk sac is 100% absorbed and the umbilical scar healed up.

During their first few weeks is when they learn what is food and what to eat. I feed them something different every single day in their first couple fo weeks. Different weeds, flowers, succulents, leaves from grape vines, mulberry trees, hibiscus, lavatera, and also an ever changing assortment of grocery store greens and pellets mixed in. If the breeder doesn't do this, which most do not, if makes it exceedingly difficult for the people who buy the babies to introduce all these good foods later on.

When I do finally move them to an enclosure, I put a familiar favorite food scattered all over the substrate. They can't take more than a few steps without walking into something they recognize as food. Over the next few days I reduce the food scattering until the food is just in their food bowls. This prevents them from nibbling on the substrate too much when they first see it.

To answer your questions:
1. Will this pose a risk to his life? No. It won't kill him, but it is definitely NOT the right way to go and will make your life difficult later on when you want him to eat the correct tortoise foods.
2. Can you mix in Optimised 52? Yes. Yes you can.

Here are two threads on how to start babies and what to look for. The second one features sulcatas, but the lessons are the same for both species:

As always, questions are welcome.
Okay, thank you Tom, I will try my best to provide all the turtle food I can collect. I hope the turtle can grow up healthily!