Living barometers

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Box turtles were climbing the walls yesterday afternoon in anticipation of the rain from Zeta today. The most active I've seen them as a group across all species. They were even trying to take food out of my hand before I could put it on their plates last night.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My boxie in her indoor enclosure often makes an appearance when it's raining outside. The heavier the rain, the better.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Matilda lives indoors, on side table next to a heated waterbed(relic of the 70s' that I haven't outgrown) that is 12' away from my b/r deck sliding door and there is one of those digital weather stations 3 feet from her home which shows the delta's between indoors and out.

She can't know it's raining out, can she? I admit though that she has been out a lot in the past 2 days as MD was seeing the end of the storm from the Gulf..........

jeff

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Matilda lives indoors, on side table next to a heated waterbed(relic of the 70s' that I haven't outgrown) that is 12' away from my b/r deck sliding door and there is one of those digital weather stations 3 feet from her home which shows the delta's between indoors and out.

She can't know it's raining out, can she? I admit though that she has been out a lot in the past 2 days as MD was seeing the end of the storm from the Gulf..........

jeff
I think they know, somehow... Especially boxies, since earthworms would be more likely to surface from a heavy rain.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think they know, somehow... Especially boxies, since earthworms would be more likely to surface from a heavy rain.
I think it has something to do with the barometric pressure falling maybe?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
When I lived in Florida I used to always go fishing a couple hours before the storms made landfall. The fish go nuts too. I would catch fish after fish better than any other time I went.
Always the best time!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I think it has something to do with the barometric pressure falling maybe?
The faster and further it dropped, perhaps there would be a correlation with the likelihood of flash flooding (in nature). They'd be better off on the surface, vs. underground. Or if there's an appropriate, fairly still body of water nearby, some of them might be better off fully submerged. Some Gulfies even sleep or brumate in water.