Russians and Box turtles

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
In my search of box turtles I keep coming across Russian tortoises and box turtles being housed outside in a large outdoor enclosures. I have also seen once in a pet store the two placed together. I know it's a no no to combine different tortoises species together from this forum but I was curious if it's the same for box turtles and tortoises. Also is it ok for water turtles and box turtles to be in the same yard ? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is most definitely NOT ok to keep box turtles and russians together. They have entirely different housing and feeding requirements for one thing, not to mention the behavioral incompatibility aspects...

I would not mix box turtles and aquatic species either.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I'd strongly advise against it. Box turtles should only be kept with box turtles and vice versa.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Box turtles need a much more humid environment than Russians. Totally different climate and diet as mentioned above. Not a good idea!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If your "yard" is big and has a pond in it as well as a shallow water feature for the box turtles, as long as they are species that naturally occur together, then there is not a problem having boxies and water turtles in the same OUTSIDE yard. If you are talking about a table or small enclosure, then NO, you should not house them like that. I live in south Texas and we used to see boxies sunning and soaking in the same area as RES and other native Texas water turtles all the time. they cross paths often in the wild.
As stated, you should never house boxies and Russians even in a big outdoor area.