Breeding box turtles indoors

scrabbleandcheckers

Is there a guide anywhere to breeding box turtles indoors? All the guides I have found seem to be targeted at people who keep box turtles in outdoor pens:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's probably because all turtles and tortoises do better outdoors. It's awfully hard to provide a large enough and deep enough habitat indoors where the turtles will feel comfortable enough to breed and lay eggs.

scrabbleandcheckers

Thanks! The reason I am asking is because I was in contact with a British breeder of three toed box turtles several years ago, and he had said that he had successfully bred several generations of three toed box turtles indoors, and that he planned to publish an article online about it soon. However, I have since lost track of him/switched email accounts and unfortunately I don't remember which breeder it was. It is a topic I am hoping to find more information about however.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
There are a few people that keep individual boxies in huge tote containers in green houses or indoors. I agree they require as much room as possible, deep substrate and a heavily planted private habitat.