Box turtles for beginners

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hi,
I currently do not have any box turtles or tortoises but I want a box turtle :). I have begun reading books, websites, and forums about the care of box turtles. I plan on getting one this spring or summer so I have time to research.
I can't wait to build a large outdoor enclosure and I am not sure about hibernating in the winter. I live in the cold north east where the Eastern Box turtle is native. I have only seen two in my life time. Our climate here is cold and snowy in the winter and we get lots of rain and humidity in the summer. I want the box turtle out as much as I can so I was thinking the Eastern Box turtle may be a good choice since it is native to my area according to the box turtle maps I have looked at.
So I am leaning towards the Eastern Box turtle for those reasons but would love to get opinions. I like all the box turtles they are adorable! So is the Eastern the best choice or are there others that do well in the same climate? What is the best beginner box turtle? Any recommendations? Thanks

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If its legal to own an eastern box turtle in your state then I would pick eastern. But some north eastern states you can only own non native box turtles.

So do some research on your laws and if its ok to own an eastern then we can give recommendations on acquiring one.

Good luck

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not sure where you live. I live in Ohio and am not able to keep easterns without a permit. Therefore, I keep three toeds/gulf coasts. I do not hibernate mine. I overwinter indoors. Three toeds are known to be great beginner boxies as they are very adaptable and have lots of personality.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Thank you! Ok my state law states I can only own captive Eastern Box turtles. It is illegal to own a wild caught box turtle.I plan to purchase from a breeder which would prove my documentation of owning a captive breed turtle. There are no restrictions on other types of box turtles other than don't let them loose in the wild.
I like the three toeds too and I read they were a good beginner turtle with a similar needs of the Eastern.So those were the two I was thinking about owning. I read the Eastern can sometimes be harder to keep but I was thinking since this is its natural habitat in the wild maybe it would be a better choice and do well here .I want it outside as much as possible. I have been reading different sites so that information may not be correct.
Thanks again!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
diamondbp said:
So do some research on your laws and if its ok to own an eastern then we can give recommendations on acquiring one.

Good luck

I would love recommendations thanks!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
they all have fairly similar husbandry and habitats. most box turtles are very adaptable. it may just come down to your personal preference. i own an eastern box turtle in the north east. i chose her because she is indigenous to my area and i fell in love with their personalities. she is not hibernating. i keep her in a 3x7 indoor enclosure now and she goes outside 7-7 during the summer.

ResizedImage_1378070088537_zps7d049749.jpg

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
stinax182 said:
they all have fairly similar husbandry and habitats. most box turtles are very adaptable. it may just come down to your personal preference. i own an eastern box turtle in the north east. i chose her because she is indigenous to my area and i fell in love with their personalities. she is not hibernating. i keep her in a 3x7 indoor enclosure now and she goes outside 7-7 during the summer.

ResizedImage_1378070088537_zps7d049749.jpg

She is beautiful !!!

My favorites are the Ornate s, 3 toed, & Eastern BT. I am planning on getting an Eastern because of where I live too. We own 4 acres and most of it is woods. I plan on building a large indoor & outdoor enclosure. Everything I read about them describes where I live so I feel better about getting one knowing its their natural habitat.

I am guessing as a beginner an adult is the way to go. Or is it better to purchase a baby since I would know its captive breed. That is my only concern with an adult I want to make sure it was captive raised.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I did not think about juveniles. Are juveniles a good choice for a beginner? I am reading babies can be hard for beginners is that true? Or would an adult be the best? Thanks

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i have always been the person to rescue an unwanted pet before buying from a breeder, that's how i received my adult ebt. but if you're going to purchase from a breeder a juvenile is a good choice. there is a thing called "hatchling failure" where they die for unapparent reasons. they are more work but if you have the time, money and patience for a hatchling I'd go with it :)

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
stinax182 said:
i have always been the person to rescue an unwanted pet before buying from a breeder, that's how i received my adult ebt. but if you're going to purchase from a breeder a juvenile is a good choice. there is a thing called "hatchling failure" where they die for unapparent reasons. they are more work but if you have the time, money and patience for a hatchling I'd go with it :)

Thanks I think I will look at the local rescues that's a great idea. If not I will look for juveniles . They are so cute past the scary baby stage and I will know they are not wild caught. Thanks so much for your help !