Living in WA, looking into adopting a tortoise

Donatellos3rdCousin

Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
Hello tortoise owners,

As you see in the title, I live in Washington state and I've been thinking about adopting a tortoise for quite some time. I am a complete beginner, but I am worried about the Washington climate for a tortoise. If I keep the enclosure strictly regulated, would this be a safe environment for it to live? Any personal tips or advice on species or enclosures would be beneficial.

Many thanks.

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
I have a redfoot (she's 22 now!) and plan to move to the PNW eventually. Bellingham, specifically! ? My plan is to buy her a large (10x10 or larger) greenhouse, which I hope will extend her outdoor time. Of course, they don't get UVB in a greenhouse, but I can add UVB and she will get to the real outside as much as possible. Iqf course she will be indoors in the winter.

You should stick with a tortoise you will be OK with having indoors for part of the year, and you will need to do the greenhouse thing to provide much outdoor time. Certainly don't get a sulfate or a leopard. A redfoot would work but they can still get large so you will need to have a BIG indoor enclosure eventually.

Had you settled on a species? They can all stay indoors for at least a while. You can work on the outdoor part as you go.