Living together

Brittaaaaanny

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I’ve read many different posts on here and over the web about redfoots not living together and some living together. Is it possible to have more than one and have them in the same enclosure? And when they are about 8 months old?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Pairs never work. Groups sometimes do. I'd say 3-4 Redfoots, all of the same size, and provided the proper setup would be ideal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have four RF tortoises living together in the same habitat. . . but their habitat is outside and is large enough to support them. Right now, because of the cold weather, they have to share a shed, with access to a "porch" area outside the shed on not-too-cold days. They seem to get along ok. RF tortoises are one species that does better in groups than other species, for example any testudo species. Testudo should not be kept in groups or pairs unless it's a pretty large area and you watch them to make sure they're ok.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have kept up to seven Redfoot together in a very large outdoors enclosure.
Multiple Redfoot can be housed together when they are very young in smaller enclosures than mine.
But they need much more space as they grow. And sexually mature Redfoot should be kept singularly or in groups of 1 Male per every 2 or 3 females.
No pairs.
And no groups unless you have the space. Most keepers do not have the room to attempt this. It requires a few hundred square feet.
Keeping one requires as small as an 8' square enclosure. And that size is actually larger than most keepers have room for.
Don't get in over your head. They get larger and larger and less able to tolerate each other. Requiring more and more space.
So while it's true that Redfoot can be kept together....It's not that simple.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
IMG_3505.jpg
I have five Redfoots in a pen that is nearly 450 sq.ft. with plenty of sight line blockers like plants and rocks. I did have to swap one about 20 years ago because of aggressive behavior. My 3.2.0 combo that I have now gets along just fine. You do have to watch and match temperaments. If they are well fed and don’t feel the need to compete Redfoots, WITH ENOUGH ROOM, can be housed together. Otherwise you will have leg bitting and flipping battles.