Long story short

RMTrescue

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Maybe some of you have realized our absence within the last month or so but we’re back. We had an incident which meant we got screwed over by one of the biggest oil providers in the province with a well that had not been reclaimed properly that ended up leaking and contaminated our soil. Because we had both a well and a cistern on the property that meant the well was compromised which meant we had contaminated water flowing through the pipes of our home. They of course were going to come clean up the problem which meant they were going to dig up all the contaminated soil and swap it with clean soil. This left a giant hole right out side one of our doors. They were then going to pay for a new well to be drilled which was all good until the county wouldn’t approve it due to the depth the well would need to be. So that left us with no water and a massive hole. Two weeks had passed and nothing was done so I contacted the company and they offered to buy the property from us if we wanted to leave. So we spent a couple of weeks looking for the “perfect” place to call home and to move the tortoises to.

Once we found a place we had to plan and prepare to move 15 Tortoises (10 Rescue, 5 personal pets) in the dead of winter.

So after all this time we finally have everyone and everything moved and set up the way we want it to be and hopefully that’s the way it will stay from here on out.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
There was a thread on here a little while back that was discussing disaster preparedness, contingency plans, emergency measures....etc. Lot of different scenarios were proposed. Never did I hear mention of "ground contamination" though. That's certainly a new one!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow..you did all of that in just a few weeks? Kudos to you.

Now you need to share pix of the estate? Im picturing - Tall conifers, marshes, bogs, a few fresh water streams gently flowing by your property. Manicured formal gardens surrounded by natural grasses, fruit trees...a nice organic veggie and flower garden. Acres and acres of orchard grass, timothy. All powered by a passive clean solar energy bank? :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry you had to go through this. Sounds like it turned out for the best, though. I'd be interested in seeing your new property.

RMTrescue

Alberta
There was a thread on here a little while back that was discussing disaster preparedness, contingency plans, emergency measures....etc. Lot of different scenarios were proposed. Never did I hear mention of "ground contamination" though. That's certainly a new one!

I honestly think I’m the one that made that post as well lol. Had I known about the well I would have searched documents and checked references. I’m a land surveyor for oil and gas. However the well was not in our title

RMTrescue

Alberta
So sorry you had to go through this. Sounds like it turned out for the best, though. I'd be interested in seeing your new property.

I will definitely be posting some pictures in the spring. Needs a little TLC and like 3 feet less of snow lol

RMTrescue

Alberta
Wow..you did all of that in just a few weeks? Kudos to you.

Now you need to share pix of the estate? Im picturing - Tall conifers, marshes, bogs, a few fresh water streams gently flowing by your property. Manicured formal gardens surrounded by natural grasses, fruit trees...a nice organic veggie and flower garden. Acres and acres of orchard grass, timothy. All powered by a passive clean solar energy bank? :)

Do you want to come design a property for me. Unfortunately it’s not that lavish. An older mobile on a property with a heated Quonset. And some farmland. Might look into getting some cattle in the spring

RMTrescue

Alberta
IMG_2672.jpg
Here is a google earth view from who knows how long ago because there is a couple other buildings on the property as well. But the blue is our house. The yellow is the Quonset when everyone is set up. And the red is a dug out.