Dry hide:
IMG_0865.jpg

RT's:
IMG_0903.jpg

Humid hide:
IMG_0857.jpg

Dry hide:
IMG_0856.jpg

In case the pictures don't show it, there is a divide between the enclosures. I am so happy with the way it turned out! It takes over about half of my room, but it's pretty impressive. Getting it out of here when we move again is going to be a paaain though.
More suggestions welcome, and thanks everybody!
-Kayti

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Looks good to me. I love your little Russian, but I didn't get to see the little Sulcata was he/she hiding?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I absolutely LOVE your enclosure =] You've given me some good ideas, I'll be building one probably in the next month or so, and I love the idea of shelves underneath =]

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Very nice kayti. I like your "natural" hides. Real Realistic! !!
Side note:what kind of bass is that in the back???

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
"Le sulcata petite", indeed! I can't even find him in that photo! Too small or well-camouflaged to be seen! I do see his little face peeking into the photo on the "humid hide" shot!:p

Like Abe, I admire the authenticity of your hides. It really does look like a forest floor (except for the hot pink igloo;)). And I am going to copy your idea of putting a plant in front of the entrance to partially cover it. I am sure that adds to the security your wee guy feels when he goes inside!;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like what you've done to improve your habitat. I have one bit of a suggestion for you. I think you're losing a lot of your heat from the CHE because its pointed sideways instead of straight down. The heat comes off of the bottom of the CHE, then, because heat rises, it goes up towards the ceiling. If you had it pointed straight down, more of the heat would go down towards the floor of the habitat instead of up towards the ceiling.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Oh by the way, those branches in front of the humid hide and the dry hide, did you pick those up from outside?

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Looks good to me. I love your little Russian, but I didn't get to see the little Sulcata was he/she hiding?

Delaware was trundling around a bit while I was documenting her new home, but I did get some pictures of just her. She's too adorable to ignore!

IMG_0875.jpg

She loves fingers and fingernails.

And here she is helping me trim the clover seedlings:
IMG_0894.jpg

And this is how she sleeps:
IMG_0902.jpg

She has gained 7 grams in the past 2 weeks! I am very proud :)

The shelves are really convenient, and the were super cheap too. $10 each at home depot.

dreadyA - The bass is the boyfriend's :p All I know about it is my rats go nuts for it and try to climb up his legs to get at it whenever he plays. It's incredibly strange.

I like what you've done to improve your habitat. I have one bit of a suggestion for you. I think you're losing a lot of your heat from the CHE because its pointed sideways instead of straight down. The heat comes off of the bottom of the CHE, then, because heat rises, it goes up towards the ceiling. If you had it pointed straight down, more of the heat would go down towards the floor of the habitat instead of up towards the ceiling.

I angled it because without the angle parts of the basking spot got to be around 100 degrees. Now they bask on the side of the log, which is around 90 degrees consistently. I'm waiting until I can get a better lamp fixture though, so it can be pointed straight down from higher above. It definitely does dissipate a lot of the heat this way.

Sammi- I got those branches from when we went camping on the California coast- they're drift wood that I boiled for about 3 hours in a big pasta pot. I move them around a lot because Mona seems to like climbing over them in new places.

Thanks for all the nice words everybody!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I angled it because without the angle parts of the basking spot got to be around 100 degrees. Now they bask on the side of the log, which is around 90 degrees consistently. I'm waiting until I can get a better lamp fixture though, so it can be pointed straight down from higher above. It definitely does dissipate a lot of the heat this way.

Invest in the large Repti Light stands from Z o o M e d. They'll let you adjust the height of the lights to optimize temps. Yeah, they are not the cheapest but, there won't be a chance that the lights will pop off the wood because each light will be hanging securely.

I love seeing natural looking pens. Great Job.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Kayti said:
Sammi- I got those branches from when we went camping on the California coast- they're drift wood that I boiled for about 3 hours in a big pasta pot. I move them around a lot because Mona seems to like climbing over them in new places.
Nice! I guess I have no excuse being as I LIVE on the California coast...hahah =P I should search harder

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You need to re-shoot that first photo to be a bit sharper, then submit it to next year's calendar contest. Totally precious!;)

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
great job!!!! love all the climbing aspects. we need to add more to charlie's enclosure for him to have more fun

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow! (seems to be my favorite word here). That's one of the best up-grades I've seen. I love the drift wood.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Thanks!

Mona LOVES to climb. It seems like she's always up on top of the dry hide, surveying everything below her.

Also, Stephanie- Delaware is so hard to photograph! She never stays still when someone is watching her. Se literally RUNS towards the camera to bite at it. The only in-focus pictures of her I have are of her napping :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
What wattage lamps are you using?

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
emysemys said:
thank you Yvonne, I've been wondering about that too as my 100 watt is sideways. will figure out how to point down (no obvious way I can think of).
I need to increase my size again from the large black plastic stock tank for livestock drinking, even tho I just made it. I'm thinking twin bed frame size.

Status
Not open for further replies.