Air circulation in tortoise hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

10 Year Member!
Hey

I noticed a lot of people use tupperwares with a hole cut into them as a hide (dry/humid) for their tortoise enclosures.

I was just wondering if you guys worry about air circulation in those hides. What I mean are the hides where the hole is not cut into the smaller end of the rectangular container (so in essence the hide is just a long tube), but at one side of the longer end, so that the tortoise would make a turn once they get in, to go to the end of the hide.

Is it something I should worry about? should I cut holes into the sides/top of the container to ensure circulation?

Thanks

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
you don't want circulation! you want STILL warm humid air in their hide.. circulation loses temps and humidity.

NERD

Lou

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the reply, the only thing that is confusing me right now is:

wont a moist, warm, still (in turn stale) air cause molding and fungal growth?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
It can, but...

a.) most of the common materials to use for this are resistant (cypress, sphagnum moss, etc.),

b.) we want to keep it humid more than wet- wetness can cause a lot of problems,

c.) the side holes are usually pretty big to let the torts in (and we don't really want it to be a long tube, more of a snug chamber), and

d.) you usually open and work on the humid hide every day or so as you stir it, re-dampen it, etc.

I have caught a little fungus in a corner of one of my hides when i used too much water. I just cleaned it with some bleach water, let it dry in the sun and it did not come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.