Looking ahead to winter

decker91

With me being in the north east growing my own isn't an option for the winter what do you guys do?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I recently bough a second hand exo terra 45x45x45 it came with with two light canopies that I'm currently using with plant growth bulbs. I've planted a lot of seed and cactus pups and of them is already growing new tiny cacti after 2 weeks. IDK if this will work but so far its good. My makeshift greenhouse is not heated but I will add something like a heatmat during winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My 110lb sulcata, Dudley, lives in a large Bermuda-grass planted yard with a heated shed. Bermuda grass goes dormant in the winter. I don't supplement Dudley's food. He grazes that yard winter, summer and all the inbetween times too. Naturally, there are a few wintertime weeds, but mostly he just eats the brown, dead grass. During summer when the mulberry tree has leaves I occasionally toss him a branch from the tree.

For my other tortoises I buy bags of Santa Barbara Mix Salad. It contains endive, radicchio and escarole. I also buy bags of turnip greens, kale, collard, red and green leaf lettuce and romaine. I have an acre of land and I can always find a spot on the property where edible weeds are growing. I pick a lot of weeds for the tortoises.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
In the dead of winter I have to rely on grocery greens. I use as large a variety as I can with plenty of endive and escarole. Usually some spring mix and a little romaine. Alternating collard and mustard greens, kale, chard, arugula, raddicio, carrot and radish tops.... I supplement with grassland tortoise food and herbal hay. For leopards and Sulcata I hydrate Timothy grass pellets and orchard grass hay. I feed mazuri and cactus once or twice a week.