Looking for Russian in Indiana

Murraymyboy

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis,IN
Hello, I would like to adopt a Russian in Indiana. I can travel to neighboring states as long as it is close to the Indiana border. I would prefer to be out of the fragile hatchling age group as I am a new keeper. Thanks!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
We have a rule that you must have 100 posts before you are allowed to adopt. So start looking at the threads and respond to the ones you might be interested in

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I would like to adopt a Russian in Indiana. I can travel to neighboring states as long as it is close to the Indiana border. I would prefer to be out of the fragile hatchling age group as I am a new keeper. Thanks!
@HoosierTort might be able to help you. Hopefully he will see this, but you can also message him. Let me know if you have trouble reaching him and I'll call him for you.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
We have a rule that you must have 100 posts before you are allowed to adopt. So start looking at the threads and respond to the ones you might be interested in

Isn't it 100 posts before you are allowed to sell??

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Check out Craigslist as well as shelters and local tortoise rescue groups. Near me there are ALWAYS at least 4-5 Russians listed (some genuine adoptions, most are people selling but use the term "re-homing fee" to make it seem like an adoption.

Also if you do instagram you may be able to find reptile rescue groups in your area that way.

@wellington is in the Chicago area and may know of some, not sure...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Rules for using the 'Adoption'

As of September 14, 2015, registered members will not be able to reply to threads in the 'For Sale' and 'For Sale Canada' sections. If you want to respond to the ad, you need to contact the original poster via our messaging system. The new rules for this subforum will be as follows:

Because we want to encourage new members to participate in our conversations, and not to just use the forum for buying/selling/etc. we have adopted a 100 post rule. New members must have made at least 100 posts before they can avail themselves of the classified threads. If a new member has an emergency they can contact a moderator to see if the 100 post rule can be bypassed.

forum...I just read this...did I miss understand the rule? It's under adoptions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check out Craigslist as well as shelters and local tortoise rescue groups. Near me there are ALWAYS at least 4-5 Russians listed (some genuine adoptions, most are people selling but use the term "re-homing fee" to make it seem like an adoption.

Also if you do instagram you may be able to find reptile rescue groups in your area that way.

Craigslist is a good start. There is also a reptile show/expo coming up in April in Illinois.
Screenshot_20240126-112207.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

As of September 14, 2015, registered members will not be able to reply to threads in the 'For Sale' and 'For Sale Canada' sections. If you want to respond to the ad, you need to contact the original poster via our messaging system. The new rules for this subforum will be as follows:

Because we want to encourage new members to participate in our conversations, and not to just use the forum for buying/selling/etc. we have adopted a 100 post rule. New members must have made at least 100 posts before they can avail themselves of the classified threads. If a new member has an emergency they can contact a moderator to see if the 100 post rule can be bypassed.

Yes it's for selling only.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

I think it means "adopting out" tortoises, (where people often use adoption as a proxy for selling) not adoptING tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it means "adopting out" tortoises, (where people often use adoption as a proxy for selling) not adoptING tortoises
Nothing can be sold on this forum without meeting the 100 post rule. Rehoming fees are the same as selling.
All for sale threads are closed to posting on them. Any contact has to be thru message or email or any other means other than posting on the thread
There is no restrictions to posting a thread to adopt out/give away for free. Those threads are not locked so you can communicate on the post.

Murraymyboy

Indianapolis,IN

Thanks, but I've been looking for a few months and it's nada, zilch around here for some reason. I keep plugging away and hope one comes up that needs a home.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thanks, but I've been looking for a few months and it's nada, zilch around here for some reason. I keep plugging away and hope one comes up that needs a home.
Man, do you want to road trip to California? There are ALWAYS some on CL here...

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
I breed all 5 subspecies of Russians and I’m located in Lawrence IN. I also run a rescue and get Russians in often.