Looking to adopt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dying4atort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I need help. I have been researching torts and have fallen in love. I have not been able to narrow down to a species though. Space outside is no issue as I live on 22 acres in NC. I also cannot seem to find any around here. We do have an exotic animal exhibit that comes to town twice a year and I think they have them but what do I look for in a healthy tort? I would be devestated if it did not live. How much are they really supposed to cost on an average? Please help everyone on here seems so knowledgeable about these babies Thanks

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
You really need to decide what type of tort you are looking for. Check rescues, petfinder.com and craigslist. These are good resources sometimes to find them. But you need to know what species you are interested in first. They all have different needs.

dying4atort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been doing some more research and i'am really falling in love with the russians as well as the red foots. I have definately noticed the differences in the species and their needs. I would love any of them if I could just find someone who needed to rehome one I would do whatever it took to take care of them. So any of the smaller species would be wonderful or a young sulcata. I am totally not picky or particular about what I get Just want to have a couple of torts to join our family. I also just found out it is illegal to buy torts in NC true or not true this is where i live what do i do now?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am not sure about the laws in NC. Russians are a great beginner tort! I know I recently saw some torts on craigslist down there but don't remember what they were. But if you google tortoise craigslist, you will see what is available and where. There at one time were some avail here in the classifieds that you could also check. Good Luck!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I think you'll find a few russians and sulcattas on petfinder.com. Redfoots don't seem to show up as often.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Check out herpalogical societies in NC, I'm sure they will have some for adoption.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Good luck! Russians would be a perfect choice! I have 14 of them! They have great personalities! Red-foots are awesome too (actually this is my favorite type) but they are a little harder to care for.

dying4atort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I have found that the reptile show is coming in may the 3rd!!!! I cannot wait but of all the exhibitors all I can find is the red foot babies and they are 85.99 is that a good price? but I see no russians on the website how is that price and if I cannot find someone who wants to adopt thiers out before then (I much rather save an unwanted or miscared for one than to buy one) my nature I guess. I read about some things to look for (healthy or not) any suggestions? Ya'll seem like pros on here. One more question why are redfoots harder to care for?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
*5.99 is a good price for a healthy redfoot but that price tells me that they are likely being sold by a broker or a pet business. No breeder that I know of use .99 cent thing. What I do at a reptile show is show some interest in the animal and get the vender in a conversation about the animal (and him?her self) and if they don't want to talk then you don't want to buy.Ask to handle the tort and make sure it feels heavy for size, I then gentlely push on back legs to see if it pushs back. Ask to see it eat. Be sure to get sellers address, phone number, or e-mail. Ask about health guarantee. The seller should be straight forward about all of these. As far as Redfoots care, I've been keeping them for over 30 years and haven't found them difficult, just different from say a russian. The redfoot is a omnivarous forest tort with a higher protein requirement, lower uv requirement and higher humidity requirement then a grassland tort. To find out more on these guys, checkout redfoots.com

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I just say Red-Foots are harder to care for because they seem more affected if they're temps aren't within the perfect range, also keeping the humidity level up high enough (while still avoid mold growth) can prove to be a challenge!

My Russians are okay with a larger temp gradient, the humidity isn't as much of an issue, and they've been a lot easier to get them to "come out of their shell" and not be shy (comparing my Russians v. RFs that came to me in less than adequate condition).

But with all that said, when you see your RF flourish, it IS a great feeling, after putting in all t hat work!

dying4atort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is there anyway to tell if they are caught in the wild?(Probably a stupid question) Do they capture them as hatchlings or what. I would never want to support that at all I can't even bring myself to bring one inside from our creek to keep because that is so terribly sad to me. And these people stealing god's creatures from the wild in the end of course could lead to extinction for such a beautiful creature. Now I'am not sure about getting one from there at all. And the adoption agency seems to be kinda hard to get one through as well. (maybe i have not found the right one yet.) I hear that so many people want to re home torts especially sulcatas because they get too big I just cannot seem to find anyone. I even posted on craigslist that I was looking to save one only to be flagged down dn't know what I did wrong. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.