loose scutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timothymac

The Rgttc recieved a 7 year old female Leopard(jenny) just over a year ago, surrendered by a gentlemen(?) who raised her from a hatchling.She was in bad shape, underweight, untrimmed long claws, pyramid shell,was covered in her own feces. First vet visit went well, claws trimmed, fecal matter tested ok. During the winter (Nov-May) under proper conditions she gained a pound.(14lbs) Second vet visit trimmed claws again, things seemed fine. All summer(May-October) She lived outdoors where she had plenty of room to roam in a large backyard. Her diet of grass and weeds were supplemented with orchard hay and calcuim. She had plenty of water. In late october she was moved indoors to a 4x8x4 enclosure. UVB lights and a spot basking light with 6 fluorescent lights provide light. Temperature is kept at 85/90 during the day with heat from spot at 95. Night time tempertures fall to78/ 80 and are steady. Humdity level unknown, maybe dry, water from large bathing size dish provides some humidity. Diet is orchard grass with some vegetable matter. Calcium supplement is given 3 times a week. Vitamins are given weekly. Recently while giving her a bath, my finger found a soft spot, the scute moved very slightly, tapping on this scute and the one next to it makes a hollow sound, area affected is the third and fourth costal scutes. My question to the members is, was this a existing conditon, that is now gotten worse to the point its visible, or have i missed something in my husbandry that cause the condition, and what can be done to cure this. She is going to the vet tomorrow, but would like some advice. Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_0084_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0084_edited-1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 83

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, this was something that happened before you got her. Because of the location, I would opt for shell rot, but it could have been a hot spot...too close to the heat source and got burned. I've seen a few tortoises with scutes that had fallen off. It usually doesn't cause a problem and heals over time. But, naturally, if its shell rot you need to find out if its old or something that's going on now.

Isn't it amazing that people will pay good $$ for a little tortoise then don't take care of it properly. Thank goodness you have her now.

Yvonne

T

timothymac

Thanks for your reply, if it was a burn from a spot light, wouldn't there be a burn, or some sign of trauma to the carapace? I haven't notice any unusal marks, or discoloration

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, you usually don't see the results from a burn until the tortoise starts growing that the burned area doesn't grow. It starts to look wrinkled and slightly deformed because the rest of the scutes are growing but the burned ones aren't.

Yvonne

T

timothymac

Thanks again. Just got Jenny back from our club's vet. I wasn't there so I am getting the full details of the visit and will post it. Several scutes were removed, more will be comin off. This injury has more to do with her terrible diet she was given as a baby.. and may have dire consquences long term....we'll wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.