Lost 5yr old herman Chester England

Emmaf09

Location (City and/or State)
Chester England
Hello, we have lost our Herman tortoise who is 5 years old, he’s quite big ! We have only had him a week ! Unfortunately my daughter moved him from the back garden into the front and within 15/20mins he was gone. This happened on Tuesday (26/09/23). We searched our neighbours garden when we realised he was gone. How far could he have got in 15/20 mins ?? We have put some strawberries out but he could be anywhere in our village by now. Is there anything else we can do? All neighbours are keeping an eye and checking their ring door bell cctv to see if they can see him going across the road so we know what direction he took. How likely would he make his way back to the house for food ? We have searched under bushes, around fences but no luck :( he could have been in another neighbours garden when we were checking next door. It’s meant to be sunny and 18 degrees tomorrow in uk, I’m hoping he comes out then but now idea where that would be. When do we give up (which I don’t want to do!) he’s also never hibernated just too add.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpeg
    IMG_2471.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check, by sight and feeling under all bushes, logs, decks, etc.
Check every morning when the sun has come out.
Strawberry is fine to try and entice him to come out but should not be fed otherwise.
Inform any local vets, pet stores and animal rescues that you are looking for him.
Good luck.

Emmaf09

Chester England
Check, by sight and feeling under all bushes, logs, decks, etc.
Check every morning when the sun has come out.
Strawberry is fine to try and entice him to come out but should not be fed otherwise.
Inform any local vets, pet stores and animal rescues that you are looking for him.
Good luck.
As we live on a corner but think he got through a small gap in the hedge leading to next door garden would he try and remain walking on grass or would he happily keep walking on pavement ? Would he just keep walking and walking once he has escaped ? I’ve bought lettuce to put out for him as well but if he’s not near our house surely it wouldn’t bring him out ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's so hard to say. I would think he would go for grass and bushes. Keep looking, as so many that have been lost are found. Some sooner then others.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Check out this thread about using thermal imaging

lynneh2000

Stanley co durham england
Hello, we have lost our Herman tortoise who is 5 years old, he’s quite big ! We have only had him a week ! Unfortunately my daughter moved him from the back garden into the front and within 15/20mins he was gone. This happened on Tuesday (26/09/23). We searched our neighbours garden when we realised he was gone. How far could he have got in 15/20 mins ?? We have put some strawberries out but he could be anywhere in our village by now. Is there anything else we can do? All neighbours are keeping an eye and checking their ring door bell cctv to see if they can see him going across the road so we know what direction he took. How likely would he make his way back to the house for food ? We have searched under bushes, around fences but no luck :( he could have been in another neighbours garden when we were checking next door. It’s meant to be sunny and 18 degrees tomorrow in uk, I’m hoping he comes out then but now idea where that would be. When do we give up (which I don’t want to do!) he’s also never hibernated just too add.
Thank you
Have you found your tortoise yet, my mams tortoise got out of the house one day, through the gate, over a field, he had crossed one or maybe two roads and was found under a wheel of a car, we had people searching for him, I put a post on out local Facebook page, and a gentleman let me know they had found him, he had been only missing maybe 2/3 hours and traveled quite far. Screenshot_20230811-183716_WhatsApp.jpg

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Just sending you support and wishes that you find your tortoise. We also lost our Eastern Hermann's tortoise in September and it has been horrible. My 10 year old son is devastated and misses him so much. I took my eyes off him for less than a minute, it is like he vanished, and I keep thinking how we were looking in the wrong spots and he went the opposite direction.

I have read many threads on this forum about them surviving the winter, even one surviving a Minneapolis winter with months below freezing, so I'm remaining hopeful that someone would find him in the spring.

Once the leaves are all down I'm going to search all around to see if there are any spots that looks like he burrowed down. He really loved to walk, though, so I'm thinking he walked quite far away. So, I've posted all over the internet, and called local rescues and veterinarians.

Please keep us posted, I'll be praying!