Little Stumpy escaped

ryan57

Location (City and/or State)
PA
So last Tuesday Stump (1.5yr 15lb sulcata) was by his burrow under the blackberry bush and busted through a hole in the fence by force. My wife checked on him 10 minutes later and he was lost for 1 week. I was an absolute wreck and it's the worst feeling in the world. We spent 2 days trying to find him on 3 wheeler, neighbors, and tracking dogs. No luck. Took off work the day after, etc.

Then I was talking to a friend about how to find it in acres of tall grass where it could be anywhere and he mentioned thermal imaging.

Yep!! I found the tortoise in 45 minutes about 200 yards from the house beneath 2' of grass. You wait until a hot day and then when the sun goes down, you can scan a field and the water in the tortoise holds temperature longer than the surroundings and you can spot it. Rode the 3 wheeler over to the area and went over the top of the burrow on accident and stopped. lifted up the grass and voila! Right there.

Now there is an upgraded fence, apple tag and micro rf transmitter from ats tracking.

I would recommend FM micro transmitters on all size tortoises. I used dual lock velcro and can find them in minutes no matter where they are out and about just being well... tortoises.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So last Tuesday Stump (1.5yr 15lb sulcata) was by his burrow under the blackberry bush and busted through a hole in the fence by force. My wife checked on him 10 minutes later and he was lost for 1 week. I was an absolute wreck and it's the worst feeling in the world. We spent 2 days trying to find him on 3 wheeler, neighbors, and tracking dogs. No luck. Took off work the day after, etc.

Then I was talking to a friend about how to find it in acres of tall grass where it could be anywhere and he mentioned thermal imaging.

Yep!! I found the tortoise in 45 minutes about 200 yards from the house beneath 2' of grass. You wait until a hot day and then when the sun goes down, you can scan a field and the water in the tortoise holds temperature longer than the surroundings and you can spot it. Rode the 3 wheeler over to the area and went over the top of the burrow on accident and stopped. lifted up the grass and voila! Right there.

Now there is an upgraded fence, apple tag and micro rf transmitter from ats tracking.

I would recommend FM micro transmitters on all size tortoises. I used dual lock velcro and can find them in minutes no matter where they are out and about just being well... tortoises.
What transmitter are you using?

ryan57

PA
IMG_4239.jpegIMG_4240.jpegIMGT0001.jpegIMGT0002.jpeg
So...

During the day not as much of a temp difference but you can still see AND... when the heat of the day dies down and the evening air is cooler it's a cakewalk.

This device is accurate to 1 degree from -40F to over 600 degrees with 320 x 240 resolution. Nothing can hide.

ryan57

PA
IMG_4241.jpeg
The device showing internal temp of devices in the PC.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
this is really great. So many people come here asking for advice about lost tortoises its great to give them a solid recommendation assuming its still in the area