My Russian Escaped

hettisurmail

That's the perfect temperature. Tortoises are designed to survive in the wild. It may help you to know that maybe he will be perfectly fine on his own. I would much rather my tortoise escaped but was alive and well than died at home.

BevSmith

So we lost our four year-old sulcata recently and I was devastated. We walked the property and sure enough there was a slope in the yard that dipped down below our fence line that we missed somehow when setting up the enclosure.

What I did - made color fliers (I used an app called FotoRUs to make the flier and then the Walgreens app to print out 8x10 pics. I also printed 5x7 pics to give to all the neighbors in the area. I put the 8x10s in page protectors - total price was maaaybe $40).

We put a post on social media (Facebook and the teens put the post on SnapChat)

A person found her walking down the road and returned her to us, thanks to my son's Snapchat.

Long story longer - she wasn't anywhere near where she got out of our fence.

Social media helps.

I hope your Tort returns super soon. Sending you positive thoughts.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498777129.159445.jpg

BevSmith

Looks like I wrote my first response too soon... just read that you put up fliers.

Yes you will find your baby!!!!

Oh! Call animal control and the pound, if you haven't already. And the local rescues.

You will find your tortoise!

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Looks like I wrote my first response too soon... just read that you put up fliers.

Yes you will find your baby!!!!

Oh! Call animal control and the pound, if you haven't already. And the local rescues.

You will find your tortoise!
How long before you found her?
How much was the reward you set out?
How far was she from where she got out?
Where'd they find her?
- we just moved here, so social media wouldn't help - we don't know anyone here..

daniellenc

Maryland
Just because you're new doesn't mean social media can't help silly that's the beauty of social media!! Go on instagram, twitter, and facebook. Your new community has community pages, some open, and some you must join. Post there, ask people to share, and keep it going!!

BevSmith

How long before you found her?
How much was the reward you set out?
How far was she from where she got out?
Where'd they find her?
- we just moved here, so social media wouldn't help - we don't know anyone here..

So it was a day-ish before someone turned her in to us.

And the social media - people all over my area shared it. It didn't take long!

She got loose on the North side of my yard and so I assumed she went back into the dense brush behind the property. She was actually found a block East of me on the freaking side of the road... just hanging out.

Put up a post and make it public on your social media. I would change it back to private later, but it'll give people the opportunity to share your information.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I had a tortoise a scape and it was gone for three weeks. Put stuff out on craigslist and Facebook. And signs all over the neighborhood. She was found exactly 2 blocks away and across a busy road. The Facebook information is what got her returned to me. So don't give up.

South Carolina
I had a tortoise a scape and it was gone for three weeks. Put stuff out on craigslist and Facebook. And signs all over the neighborhood. She was found exactly 2 blocks away and across a busy road. The Facebook information is what got her returned to me. So don't give up.
Very helpful, thank you! It's encouraging to know that someone else's was gone for quite a while):
We can't give up!:)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
A girl in my town actually lost her Russian four months. It was returned to her eventually. Make sure all the vets and pet stores in town have flyers. And the local animal shelter or animal or a reptile rescue us.

South Carolina
It's been 9 days and I just want to cry - I feel like I'll never find her .. my printer isn't working and I can't print more flyers

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
It's been 9 days and I just want to cry - I feel like I'll never find her .. my printer isn't working and I can't print more flyers
Don't give up! Keep posting on social media and see if you can find a friend or family member who has a printer.

ParisBloom

London, UK
Hiya Hun, I am so very sorry to read about your tort. I agree with not giving up hope, keep trying. I am not sure if the website freecycle is active in your area. Here in the UK it is, and people often post "found" & "lost" messages. In fact just last week someone posted a "I found a parrot in Highgate" and amazingly the parrot was repatriated with its owner :) If you google freecycle it will show up on the top of google search. I am really thinking of you at this time. xxx Paris & Torts xxx

BevSmith

Very helpful, thank you! It's encouraging to know that someone else's was gone for quite a while):
We can't give up!:)

Some people have lost their torts for months (six months or more!) only to have them safely returned!!!

Don't give up! ❤️❤️❤️