Russian tort digging hole

Niki

5 Year Member
My female Russian is in her enclosure (outside) digging a hole with her back legs... Like she is going to lay an egg. About 2 months ago she escaped my backyard and ended up at the local herpetological center. She was housed in a giant enclosure with a bunch of other tortoises. She was there for over 24 hours before I found her and picked her up. Do you think she met a "friend" during her stay? I know that females can lay eggs that aren't fertilized. Should I just let her be? I noticed she didn't eat yesterday or today.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It does seem she may be trying to lay. The possibility of it being fertile is there. However being with other tortoises could of just enabled her egg cycle. I'd make sure she has Adequete substrate depth. Incubate anyways. Te possibility is there for sure. But just don't know if another Russian and male bred with her.

Niki

5 Year Member
I live in Az. Her enclosure has dirt and I have added some soil for the plants and for her to dig around in. But the ground here in Az is pretty hard. I can tell she has been working pretty hard- she found a place in between some bushy plants. I can barely see her. I am not home now... But when I return I will just check on her. I really have no way of hatching eggs or really want babies!!