Test digging holes !

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
My Russian tortoise is been digging holes with her Back feet for days now ! And she digs pretty deep holes all the time but she leaves them alone after 20 minutes or so , why is she doing that is she going to lay eggs ? Is she just practicing ,is it natural behavior or something ! can someone tell me what's going on lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some females dig several test holes before they really get down to business. She will eventually dig a good hole and put eggs into it.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Today she did 4 holes and nothing happen , I have a question ¿ do you know if some tortoises just pretend to lay eggs ? Because when she is in the hole she moves her butt up and down like if she wanted to pass something out but at the end nothing comes out and she stops and walks away

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It's not unusual for them to dig many nests and abandon them. My Russians will do this for weeks sometimes. If it looks like she's straining a lot or if she stops moving or goes off food, take her to the vet in case she's egg bound. Good luck!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
It's not unusual for them to dig many nests and abandon them. My Russians will do this for weeks sometimes. If it looks like she's straining a lot or if she stops moving or goes off food, take her to the vet in case she's egg bound. Good luck!
She laid two eggs yesterday ! :D thank you !! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402000515.017911.jpg

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Great news!!! Thanks for the pic!
I had to make a nesting box for her because of the crazy weather we have in Wisconsin she spend over 2 hours making the nest ! , do u think I can remove the nesting box now from her enclosure or do u think she will lay more ??