Test digging holes ??

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Today I found one of my Russians digging a hole with her back feet and I also have notice that she's been sniffing the ground , she's been with the male for only a couple weeks and he's only 4.5 inches long , do u guys think she might be gravid ? I think the male is too little to do anything lol do u think I should keep an eye on her just in case ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Keep an eye out for eggs. How long has the female been with you? Do you know her history. We have seen accounts of some species being able to store sperm and produce offspring for up to five years. I don't know if a russian can do that or not, but it is a possibility.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I bought her at petco and she's been with me for about 3 years she was already huge when I got her maybe 6 or 7 inches , now she's close to 8 , I was watching what she was doing for like 5 minutes and then she notice I was there and stopped doing it , today in the morning she was scratching her enclosure too and trying to get out , but is a male so little able to impregnate a female ?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ok a 4.5 inch male can mate with a large female (give it the old college try at least). My male was only around 4.5 inches and it did not stop him from trying and being successful. I would keep an eye out for eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
4.5 inches. I would guess yes. Males mature much sooner than females. Perhaps another russian owner with first hand experience with a male of that size will chime in. I've seen males that small flashing, so it does not seem a stretch to me that they could impregnate an adult female.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thank you guys !!! I saw the male mounting her once and making the really funny sounds they make but it only lasted for like 5 seconds lol that's one of the few times I cough them in the act , they spend the whole day outside together and at night they have separate enclosures , I guess I'm going to keep a good eye on her now and give her special care just in case