Digging Sulcata

UnHooked

Location (City and/or State)
Kilgore Texas
I am aware that these little buggers are diggers but I didn't realize to what extent. Johnny isn7 months old and yes he will do a bit of digging here and there but it has gotten to where there will be no more substrate to dig and all u hear is scraping!! Ugh. Lol should I lay more substrate in the holes he dig to give him more. Or just leave it. I want him to be happy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Besides to build a burrow, another reason they dig in an indoor habitat is because they are looking for a way out. Maybe something isn't quite right with his living arrangements???

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
I don't know what it could be. I will say that it is in his hides that he burrows in. But he is making it to where there is no substrate under the hide. Should I put more substrate in it. I don't want to ruin all his hard work lol. But I have already discussed my husbandry on here and everything checked out good. Didn't know if this was just him getting older or what.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what it could be. I will say that it is in his hides that he burrows in. But he is making it to where there is no substrate under the hide. Should I put more substrate in it. I don't want to ruin all his hard work lol. But I have already discussed my husbandry on here and everything checked out good. Didn't know if this was just him getting older or what.
What type of substrate are you using and what depth?

What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

What type of UV bulb are you using?

Open topped enclosure or closed chamber? What size?

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
I have a table with closed top(aluminum foil for now) substrate is a mix of reptibark and coco fibers. 3inches to 5 inches in depths. Warm side is 89 cool side 82. Basking is 104. Lowest it gets at night is 78. Humidity 70. Enclosure is 3ft by 2ft. Using a t8 uvb and 75 watt basking light. Then I have a che on thermostat always at 87. A quarter of his enclosure is a dark hide area. There is where it can get down to 82 at night.

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
He will be getting his new enclosure February. Hoping this can work for now.

Attachments

• 16698802632387585543673966217990.jpg
    16698802632387585543673966217990.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a table with closed top(aluminum foil for now) substrate is a mix of reptibark and coco fibers. 3inches to 5 inches in depths. Warm side is 89 cool side 82. Basking is 104. Lowest it gets at night is 78. Humidity 70. Enclosure is 3ft by 2ft. Using a t8 uvb and 75 watt basking light. Then I have a che on thermostat always at 87. A quarter of his enclosure is a dark hide area. There is where it can get down to 82 at night.
All of that sounds pretty good. Life will be much easier once you get your closed chamber.

I don't see anything there that would cause him to e uncomfortable, so in your case, I say let him dig. It won't hurt anything.

ryan57

PA
Besides to build a burrow, another reason they dig in an indoor habitat is because they are looking for a way out. Maybe something isn't quite right with his living arrangements???
Yvonne,

Stump's living arrangements prove that this is not so because it can leave its indoor "burrow" and does many times a day to eat, roam, go outside, etc. During the day now, sometimes it decides to remove all substrate in one corner when it can leave at will or go outside in the enclosure and dig in the dirt burrow as it does often. Because of this, I think its more of a behavior to expand a burrow it likes or get comfortable rather than escape.