Digging

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Chug has decided to dig another burrow! The problem is that he's digging in the corner of his enclosure, and hits the wire mesh that's buried under the wood fence.
So, questions:
What will he probably do? Will he give up on this spot, or make a turn and go in a different direction where there's no mesh?
Why do torts abandon burrows? Could they be too wet inside from constant watering of plants above? I don't think it's temp...the 1st burrow is cooler than the one he's currently living in, even if only by a couple degrees.
If I start a hole more in the center of the enclosure, how likely is he to continue digging there?
I know I'm probably over-worrying this, but our dirt is so sandy. I reinforced the burrow I dug for him last year, and that he faithfully used til 4-5 weeks ago. I really didn't have to worry about a collapse.
Even if I had enough dirt to make an above ground burrow, I don't know how to keep it cool enough in this heat.
What should (or shouldn't) I do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
  1. He is likely to keep digging in that spot and injure his feet on the buried wire.
  2. Move him out of the way, fill in that hole and put a large heavy object over that area to prevent digging there again. I use a few cinderblocks or a log. After a couple of weeks, you can probably move that stuff out of the way.
  3. Why do they abandon burrows? I don't know. Could be so many reasons. Could be some reason we'll never know.
  4. They will usually dig if you make a proper starter hole. I start it with a big round nose shovel and then hand shape it with a hand shovel.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
  1. He is likely to keep digging in that spot and injure his feet on the buried wire.
  2. Move him out of the way, fill in that hole and put a large heavy object over that area to prevent digging there again. I use a few cinderblocks or a log. After a couple of weeks, you can probably move that stuff out of the way.
  3. Why do they abandon burrows? I don't know. Could be so many reasons. Could be some reason we'll never know.
  4. They will usually dig if you make a proper starter hole. I start it with a big round nose shovel and then hand shape it with a hand shovel.
Thank you, Tom. I was concerned about his feet too.
I did fill the hole in. Tomorrow I will find something to put over it.
Sure wish I knew what he's unhappy about! [emoji53]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, Tom. I was concerned about his feet too.
I did fill the hole in. Tomorrow I will find something to put over it.
Sure wish I knew what he's unhappy about! [emoji53]
Ummmmm…… I have a guess…

Its blazing hot out there??? I think everyone is upset about this relentless heat.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ummmmm…… I have a guess…

Its blazing hot out there??? I think everyone is upset about this relentless heat.
Yes, the humidity is not so slowly melting me.
And I never see Chug in his water pans, or drinking from the puddles I make for him. I've been soaking him every other day.
I know he's hot since he lost his shade tree. And there is no place to put up a shade cloth that is high enough to not just trap the hot air in under it. He comes out in the morning, then stays underground til dark, when he comes out again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, the humidity is not so slowly melting me.
And I never see Chug in his water pans, or drinking from the puddles I make for him. I've been soaking him every other day.
I know he's hot since he lost his shade tree. And there is no place to put up a shade cloth that is high enough to not just trap the hot air in under it. He comes out in the morning, then stays underground til dark, when he comes out again.

Why not use some cinder blocks to make two side walls....place a piece of plywood over the top of the cinder block walls...then add soil on top of the plywood to offer insulation? You will want to make sure to sink the first layer of cinder blocks into the soil before you add another layer or two to make sure the tort does not move the walls and end up with the roof falling down on them...it works, I have done the same for the CDTs....size is only relevant to the size of the shade spot....just sharing...and we love the heat here...certainly better than the cold.... :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why not use some cinder blocks to make two side walls....place a piece of plywood over the top of the cinder block walls...then add soil on top of the plywood to offer insulation? You will want to make sure to sink the first layer of cinder blocks into the soil before you add another layer or two to make sure the tort does not move the walls and end up with the roof falling down on them...it works, I have done the same for the CDTs....size is only relevant to the size of the shade spot....just sharing...and we love the heat here...certainly better than the cold.... :)
Good idea, thanks! I'm trying to decide just what I want to do. I'll definitely keep this in mind!
As for the heat, it's the humidity getting me. I hate to step outside and instantly be dripping. [emoji35]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Good idea, thanks! I'm trying to decide just what I want to do. I'll definitely keep this in mind!
As for the heat, it's the humidity getting me. I hate to step outside and instantly be dripping. [emoji35]

Uggghhh...I despise the humidity...so that I agree upon...but I will take it if the heat comes with it vs the cold any ole day :)