15lb Sulcata in burrow for 24 hours --- when should I worry / dig out

digibond

Location (City and/or State)
Maui
In the last year Speedy, my 15lb Sulcata, has been working on his burrow. It's now about 5' - 6' I length. Yesterday late morning I gave him a soak. Seemed fine. Put him back in his area. He walked to the burrow, went in, did a bit of digging and cleaning and went to what I think is the end. I didn't see him come out yesterday, which is odd. He didn't come back to the heated house, based off of Tom's design, which is a first. Not panicked about the temp in that burrow overnight since it only gets down to the low 60's

I can see his shell in the burrow, laying down with a flashlight. He has changed position from yesterday afternoon, but still not coming out as it's warming up (about 11AM here). At what point do I say this is bad and dig him out.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the last year Speedy, my 15lb Sulcata, has been working on his burrow. It's now about 5' - 6' I length. Yesterday late morning I gave him a soak. Seemed fine. Put him back in his area. He walked to the burrow, went in, did a bit of digging and cleaning and went to what I think is the end. I didn't see him come out yesterday, which is odd. He didn't come back to the heated house, based off of Tom's design, which is a first. Not panicked about the temp in that burrow overnight since it only gets down to the low 60's

I can see his shell in the burrow, laying down with a flashlight. He has changed position from yesterday afternoon, but still not coming out as it's warming up (about 11AM here). At what point do I say this is bad and dig him out.

Thanks
Tape a digital thermometer to the end of a broom stick and stick it way down the hole. Leave it there for a good hour and then tell us the temp.

digibond

Maui
He seems to be stirring. The face is now visible, and he twitched when I put the pole/thermometer down the burrow. Will get the temp, and let you know if he comes out. Still would be helpful to know at the end of this when you would start digging.

Attachments

• IMG-1529.jpg
    IMG-1529.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 3

digibond

Maui
Tape a digital thermometer to the end of a broom stick and stick it way down the hole. Leave it there for a good hour and then tell us the temp.
Temp is 67.5F. He has moved a bit up the borrow, clearly not stuck. So do I dig him out if he doesn't come out during the day? (It's just after noon here). Any other guidance?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Temp is 67.5F. He has moved a bit up the borrow, clearly not stuck. So do I dig him out if he doesn't come out during the day? (It's just after noon here). Any other guidance?
I am going through the burrow dilemma problem with my sully at the moment also. I would try and tempt him out with some food. I have also read on this forum that you can use a water hose to get him out. By slowly letting the water go down the burrow. But I would run that by @Tom before trying it.
I would think as long as he is not injured. He will come out when he is ready. But it's hard getting a good night's sleep for me. Knowing my sully is in a burrow over night. I am sure my sully is saying to himself. Why does that fool keep shining a light in my face all through the night.
That just seems like a lot of dirt to move to get him out.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Personally I wouldn't dig him out seeing how it is summer and he isn't danger of freezing.

You should know that they never stop digging. Charlie's burrow got so big and curved under our house so we had to fill it in to keep our house from collapsing. Before that, he lived in it through several summers. We built him a summer house which is basically a shelter without a heater. He seems to be happy with that when the weather is warm. When we built it, we put it in a place where it was okay for him to dig if he wanted but other than hollowing out a bed, he hasn't done much digging.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am going through the burrow dilemma problem with my sully at the moment also. I would try and tempt him out with some food. I have also read on this forum that you can use a water hose to get him out. By slowly letting the water go down the burrow. But I would run that by @Tom before trying it.
I would think as long as he is not injured. He will come out when he is ready. But it's hard getting a good night's sleep for me. Knowing my sully is in a burrow over night. I am sure my sully is saying to himself. Why does that fool keep shining a light in my face all through the night.
That just seems like a lot of dirt to move to get him out.
At only 67 degrees in the hole, you wouldn't want to put water in there. Cold and wet makes a sick tortoise.
67 is quite low for a sully. They should be kept at 80

digibond

Maui
At only 67 degrees in the hole, you wouldn't want to put water in there. Cold and wet makes a sick tortoise.
67 is quite low for a sully. They should be kept at 80
His house is at around that temp day and night.

Central PA
I wouldnt be too converned I have seen videos of sulacta owners who have had their tortoise be in there for a few days. After then they lure them out with food but they are typically fine just monitor

Central PA
I wouldnt be too converned I have seen videos of sulacta owners who have had their tortoise be in there for a few days. After then they lure them out with food but they are typically fine just monitor
the temperature is really concerning though I would fix that immediatley

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
the temperature is really concerning though I would fix that immediatley
Just because you have seen videos doesn't mean it should be done.
You can see a lot of pics or videos on the internet of people doing everything wrong. If you don't know better, you'd think they were right!

Central PA
You can see a lot of pics or videos on the internet of people doing everything wrong. If you don't know better, you'd think they were right!
this is an expert and many people on here have even recommended him

Central PA
I think you are replying to something entirely different than what i wrote there. I said that the temperature was concerning and you said something completely irrelevant to that comment.

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
I think he is impressed with his hide. He prob will surface.

My tort is constantly "evolving" in his area (Georgia) and he has yet to dig. Which is confusing me! I guess he is too happy not to? He is about 10 years old. He lets me know when to worry. Keep us posted.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think you are replying to something entirely different than what i wrote there. I said that the temperature was concerning and you said something completely irrelevant to that comment.
I just clicked on the wrong post. But you wrote the other post too I was referring too.

digibond

Maui
Why? Have you read anything on here about them? Are you trying to make him sick or dead? Where are you that it could be that cold day and night this time of year?
@Tom
Sorry, I may not have been clear. His house is at 80, not 67, and I don't really change it year round as the Upcountry Maui high and low temps only change about 10 - 15 degrees year round. No one has AC, not needed, and some have a fireplace for a chilly morning from late fall - early spring. I do get an alarm if the house gets too hot or too cold. Until now he spends most of his day in his yard, sometimes walking around, sometimes under a tree in the shade. And until now, goes into his house about 4 or 5. He's been happy, healthy and growing well.

Really only issue now I really need help with is if / when do I dig him out.

Tempting with food hasn't worked yet. It does sound from some of the responses that perhaps I just need to get use to burrow life.