nadja's first egg

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
Nadja laid her first egg on Sunday night:) she had been digging test holes and then just plopped it on the ground. I got it into the incubator within 4 hours of her laying it, I had been working in my woodshop and missed the event:/ Anyway, I took a picture of it in her enclosure, and one with her for size comparison. Then I took two pictures of it when I peeked in the incubator last night. The color may be a little off with my lighting, but it is rosy, with white spots. How do you think it looks? When should I candle it? day 7?

Attachments

• egg and mama.jpg
    egg and mama.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 2
  • egg in enclosure.jpg
    egg in enclosure.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 2
  • eggday2.jpg
    eggday2.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 3
  • egg day 3.jpg
    egg day 3.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Is this her first egg ever? If so and usually when they plop it on top of the substrate, they can not be fertile. However, it's always worth trying to hatch it. Good luck
Be sure she has a deep enough substrate to dig deep enough holes or she may never lay them in a nest and sometimes without the right conditions they can not lay at all and become egg bound.

lynnefay

OREGON
Congrats. Is this her first egg ever? If so and usually when they plop it on top of the substrate, they can not be fertile. However, it's always worth trying to hatch it. Good luck
Be sure she has a deep enough substrate to dig deep enough holes or she may never lay them in a nest and sometimes without the right conditions they can not lay at all and become egg bound.
her first egg with me, i should say. she has 8" of substrate, as i said, she had been digging test nests.
how do you think the egg looks? color and spot wise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have enough experience to judge the egg. I only know that when mine, leopards, dropped her first eggs ever on top of substrate, they weren't any good. Also that many on here that torts have done the same thing, they never hatched.
If I remember correctly, some of mine were soft and/or dented, not all of them though.
Do you know if she had been bred?
They can drop eggs even if never bred, not the most common but can happen.

lynnefay

OREGON
I don't have enough experience to judge the egg. I only know that when mine, leopards, dropped her first eggs ever on top of substrate, they weren't any good. Also that many on here that torts have done the same thing, they never hatched.
If I remember correctly, some of mine were soft and/or dented, not all of them though.
she bred with my male this summer, august. egg is not soft, feels like a chicken egg, no dents. the white pattern has not changed from yesterday, i just did a photo comparison.
apparently, she lived with a male before i got her as well. she's kind of a rescue.

lynnefay

OREGON
also, leopards are so beautiful! that is so cool you can have them:)