Timmy (female) is digging holes and being mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I think (hope) Timmy is having the gravid grumps. She has been dominating all 3 of the others, including the male (by head nodding and humping), is up before anyone else, and last to go to sleep, and today I caught her digging a hole with her back legs in the deep side of the enclosure where there are 9+ inches of coir. No eggs yet, but from what I've read, that sounds like gravid-female behavior, doesn't it?!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your tort is a female, if she is trying to drop eggs, if she is pissed at all the other torts...perhaps you may want to give her some quiet time in that space to do her thing??????

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Yes, that is an excellent suggestion, @ascott.

I was thinking the same thing, but was weighing whether a move to a separate enclosure would be more stressful to her, or being around the others would be. I have enough extra lights, all my 'foster' enclosures are occupied, but I can run to the hardware store for an XL rubbermaid. Still too cold here for leaving them outdoors - and I haven't finished the outdoor RT pen (should be done in another 2 weeks or so!).

ascott said:
If your tort is a female, if she is trying to drop eggs, if she is pissed at all the other torts...perhaps you may want to give her some quiet time in that space to do her thing??????

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
biochemnerd808 said:
Yes, that is an excellent suggestion, @ascott.

I was thinking the same thing, but was weighing whether a move to a separate enclosure would be more stressful to her, or being around the others would be. I have enough extra lights, all my 'foster' enclosures are occupied, but I can run to the hardware store for an XL rubbermaid. Still too cold here for leaving them outdoors - and I haven't finished the outdoor RT pen (should be done in another 2 weeks or so!).

ascott said:

you could just put a divider in the middle of the tank, with her on one side everyone else on the other side

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
biochemnerd808 said:
I think (hope) Timmy is having the gravid grumps. She has been dominating all 3 of the others, including the male (by head nodding and humping), is up before anyone else, and last to go to sleep, and today I caught her digging a hole with her back legs in the deep side of the enclosure where there are 9+ inches of coir. No eggs yet, but from what I've read, that sounds like gravid-female behavior, doesn't it?!

I have seen my own female Russian and Eastern Hermann's tortoises defend a chosen nesting site when they are close to egg laying. So that is a very good indication, as well of is the digging! Other signs are constant (almost anxious) pacing and sniffing the ground. Some will paw at and then sniff an area when looking for a suitable nest site too.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Thank you for the input. I'm keeping a close eye on her, today it's supposed to be sunny, so I plan to put the other 3 RTs outside to give her some privacy. If the weather gets crumby I'll jury rig a partition. :)

GBtortoises said:
biochemnerd808 said:

I have seen my own female Russian and Eastern Hermann's tortoises defend a chosen nesting site when they are close to egg laying. So that is a very good indication, as well of is the digging! Other signs are constant (almost anxious) pacing and sniffing the ground. Some will paw at and then sniff an area when looking for a suitable nest site too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
whether a move to a separate enclosure would be more stressful to her

I was meaning to relocate the other occupants and give her time to do what she wants to do in the peace and quiet of her own home...:D

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Gotcha! Well, one of the other females is going to spend a few weeks at my friend's house (she is the smallest, and has been a little withdrawn lately - want to make sure she is getting all the food she needs, and I think being in an enclosure by herself will help) and I'll just let the other two spend some time in the kid pool outside, weather permitting, so Timmy can do her thing. She hasn't been acting as crazy the last two/three days, is eating normally, and hasn't dug any new holes. We will see. :)

ascott said:
whether a move to a separate enclosure would be more stressful to her

I was meaning to relocate the other occupants and give her time to do what she wants to do in the peace and quiet of her own home...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.