Lost my 2 girls within a week of each other

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I also am so very sorry to hear about this awful loss. I found my tortoise dead at the end of brumation, so I understand your shock. ?

Have you by any chance had work done in your flat/house? Like remodeling or replacing? Have you used any new cleaning or deodorizing products lately?
Out of curiosity (and I am having some extensive home repairs done), how would remodeling or replacing anything in your home be detrimental to torts? asbestos and lead maybe?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Out of curiosity (and I am having some extensive home repairs done), how would remodeling or replacing anything in your home be detrimental to torts? asbestos and lead maybe?
Fumes, excess dust, stress due to loud noises/vibrations maybe?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So very sorry for your loss, you must be heartbroken.
I know this caresheet is too late to help your torts and won't help your grief but when you are ready to read it, it may help you figure out what happened.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, asbestos and lead. In addition to what Lyn said, there could be mold exposed, the workmen might spray something, paint fumes.

If my tort was in a table instead of a closed chamber, I think the least I would do is cover the table with some plastic sheeting while the work was being done.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
My two Herman’s tortoises have passed away, one last Saturday and one tonight. Both showed no signs of illness at all other than being slightly off their food which I attributed to the time of year.
I am absolutely devastated, I have had them since they were babies. They hatched in 2016 . Dolly was always smaller than Nelly but always ate well.
They have never been ill before, I just have no idea what has happened. The vet I spoke to also wasn’t sure, and just suggested it might have been something contagious.
Has anyone else experienced this? I’m so upset and worrying that I’ve done something wrong after 6 years to hurt them :(
I'm so sorry you lost your little ones,it would have been good though painful to have gotten a blood sample so they could find out if it was something contaminated that you fed them or a virus or anything,i'm sure it's to late but it would have been good to set your mind at ease that it wasn't anything you did or didn't do,that would be a very very low chance as good as you cared for them again i'm very sorry,they are grazing in the lush grass in a better place