1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Lost Russian Tortoise

Discussion in 'Lost and Found' started by tortoiseplanet, Feb 4, 2018.

1. tortoiseplanet

tortoiseplanet Active Member

I lost tank just yesterday. I’ve looked for him 4 hours straight this morning he means so much to me. If you find him please reply to this thread or email me at tortoisecontact@gmail.com
    My area: Trabuco Canyon/Coto de Caza/Rancho Santa Margarita (California). He could be anywhere by now:(
    Here he is
    IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1802.jpg
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi Dylan: Was he outside? They're very good at burying themselves.
  3. tortoiseplanet

I put them outside in a bin to get sun light and I took him out to empty it and I have no idea how I just forgot about him. I’m a complete idiot and I’m just killing myself for it because I know it’s my fault. But behind my yard to the left is hundreds of acres of wilderness and to the right is a street and many homes. There is plenty of bushes and grass, cactus and other greens in the wilderness I’m just really worried that he will be okay in the wild. If he did go to the right I fear someone will pick him up with zero experience and put him in a bin without any uvb or heat lamps and completely mistreat him. In the wilderness area there are hiking trails so I’ll put some papers out and one on the street.
  4. Stuart S.

Stuart S. Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Maybe you will see him roaming around in your back yard in a day or two, praying you find your little guy
    Kristy1970 and tortoiseplanet like this.
  5. tortoiseplanet

I kept a Craigslist ad up the entire time. It has now been 2 months since tank has been missing. On my way to adopt a 120lb sulcata I get a text “is this your tortoise?”. And there was tank! Found in hiking mountains miles away! I am currently still out transporting the sulcata. My brother showed me tank over FaceTime. It looks like he’s been worn out and even possibly been attacked by an animal. On the bottom of his shell there is a thin long cut that is bleeding. I don’t have a photo of it and can’t take one until I get back home later in the day. I told my brother to give him a nice soak to clean him up for now until I get back. What should I do about the wound? Should I put an antibiotic ointment on it? I might make a new thread for this.
  6. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

I don’t have advice on the injuries but I’m very glad to see he is returned!
    Jay Bagley and tortoiseplanet like this.
  7. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member

Wow... what a story. Incredible that Tank is discovered the same day you are retrieving a Sully rescue.

@Tom and @zovick and @Yvonne G should be able to help with Sully’s wounds. Best of luck
  8. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Wow! It’s amazing how tortoises have the means to survive months in the wild, and run miles away, only to be found!
    Good luck with the cut!
  9. tortoiseplanet

Thanks to all of you! :)
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  10. Taylor T.

Taylor T. Well-Known Member

That's great news! I guess you should never really give up hope on finding animals as resilient as tortoises.
  11. tortoiseplanet

Sorry, forgot to upload a picture of his shell. Been so busy with the Sulcata. Here he is:
    IMG_2271.jpg
    It looks bad although it seems to have been there for a little while. He does not seem to be in any pain. It’s just a matter of time for his shell to grow back and recover. He walks completely normally, eats great, and is very person friendly. What concerns me is a bump on his face. I’ll take a photo of that tomorrow. For the mean time any info for the shell will be helpful. For calcium, I have him under a UVB tube. I do have calcium supplements too. Though I worry because he’s been in the sun for a while and the supplement I have has added D3 (I also have crushed egg shells but I know it isn’t as effective as pure calcium carbonate). Will it harm him in any way? I think a calcium supplement is crucial to get his shell grown back.
    Lark_Tortoise likes this.
  12. Jay Bagley

Jay Bagley Well-Known Member

Dude, thats awesome sumone found him. Congrats, and congrats on the new sulcata
  13. Taylor T.

Taylor T. Well-Known Member

It kind of looks more like a crack than a cut. Maybe glue a few Popsicle sticks onto the bottom of his shell while it heals to make sure it stays in place? I'm not sure what kind of glue would be safe to use, but I'm sure somebody does.
    TechnoCheese likes this.
  14. tortoiseplanet

You’re right, it is rather a crack. It is very well in place though. I have him in quarantine separated from the other tortoises Incase he’s picked up anything from being in the wild and to avoid other torts climbing on him or stressing him out until he recovers.
    fullhouse486 and Jay Bagley like this.