Lost Tortoise

Anonymous

Yesterday we lost our horse field tortoise in the garden. We've looked all around the garden but still no luck. There are no obvious places for her to escape into our neighbours' houses. We live in London and it can get quite cold at night. We think she has buried herself and don't know how to find her. We've left food outside and today we looked for them but they were gone. Weather they were eaten by her or birds we don't know. Do any of you have any ideas of how to find her?? :tort::eek:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
they're very good climbers even where we don't think they could climb. Any chance of a Xscape over a fence?

Anonymous

I'm just worried that she can't survive the cold for that long. I'm not sure how cold it too cold but in England it's always cold...
If she has buried herself will she come out or will she just stay there until we find her? Is it worth setting up a camera to watch the garden and then see if we see her in that?

Anonymous

No chance that she climbed over a fence but under the fence isn't out of the question

Anonymous

Also if she's buried herself how for under would she be? Would she just under the surface or a few CM under?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't think you need to worry. Russian tortoises are able to withstand cooler temperatures, and I'm sure the tortoise has dug down into the earth, where it's a bit warmer. Early in the morning, when the sun starts to shine into the area where you lost him, look along the fenceline in the sun. They come out first thing in the a.m. and sit in the sun, leaning up against the fence, to warm up.

russian 02-25-15.jpg Russian Yard 4-4-12 b.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The weather in London is not that cold. I am just 30 miles from you. It's fine. Your tort will not come to any harm because of the weather. Anyone would think we live in the Arctic!

You need to be up early and bait the obvious sunny basking spots with strawberries- few torts can resist them.

Saturday is going to be cloudy all day from the forecast, so it may be Sunday or Monday before you see her.

Anonymous

Ok, thanks guys! We're planning on having a proper search tommorow because it's the weekend (we have more time). I'll check when I wake up. Do you have to wake up at sunrise or is normal waking time (7:00-8:00) ok?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Judging by Joe, he seems to be on the move any time from 7:30 am onwards at the moment.

He lives outside 24/7.

Good luck

Anonymous

It can get pretty chilly and then when it gets hot none of us are used to it and we think it's really hot... When I imagine it's not to the rest of the world...

So lemme get this straight. I should check first thing in the morning the spots where there is sun shining on maybe using strawberries? And if she doesn't come up I shouldn't be worried?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Think tort. A sheltered spot in full sun is where your tort will go to bask. They're very good at finding the hottest places.

It will be against a fence or maybe shielded by bushes probably

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just to give you a guideline. It's 8am and Joe is just stirring.

He hasn't left his sleeping place, but he has turned round and is starting to head out veeeeerrrrrry slooooooowly (he's cold)

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Like a camouflage uniform in the woods tortoises just blend in in grassy areas and being a escape artist they can just disappear. Usually they come back. They can find you before you find them, but if you're sure its still around you should have some luck finding it. With this good advice from the forum you have a great chance.