Lost tortoise

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
On Friday i placed my 3yo sulcata tortoise out in my fenced back yard. The yard is not secured for her to remain outdoors 24/7 so we just have her out during the day for exercise, sun and grazing. We were outside for about 4 hours before we started to look for her to bring her back inside with us. She is nowhere to be found. We searched every corner and border of the yard for a place she would have dug out of and there is nowhere. There is only one place she could have left from and that is the gate. It isn't impossible that my children left the gate open on accident. I just think that would have been a very small window of opportunity. I'm very worried about her and I have circled the blocks on both sides of me to inform them of her disappearance and posted to our community facebook page. Today I contacted all the reptile stores around me to let them know and to keep a look out for anyone who might bring her in. I have a posting on craigslist and I have called out animal and reptile shelters. I don't know what to do. What are the chances of her coming back? Are they anything like dogs and have a sense of home??? It's summer here in colorado now, so it is warm enough for her to survive the night... But I live in an underdeveloped area and we have a lot of predators. I'm so worried. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402866328.863025.jpg

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
Lost 3yo 10-12inch sulcata. Female. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402866466.723232.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402866478.807262.jpg
Lost in Thornton colorado on 6/13.

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
I had that happen to my 6 year old many years back, but she was stolen. Just the other day I thought Tank had busted out of the backyard and flipped out because I live in an area that is overgrown with weeds, cactus, mesquite trees, palm tree leaves all over, lots of places to hide. AND a main road about 1/2 mile up where someone driving by would certainly take an interest in him!
I know how you feel. It's heartbreaking.
We scoured the neighborhood looking for Tank, going into all the brush, getting eaten by mosquitoes and sweating our asses off!!
Turns out he was hiding in the shade under my husbands car (that's never used, it's just his classic baby) in "her" (the cars) garage!
Hopefully you will still find her!!!
Can they put microchips in these guys at the vets office??? Like they do with dogs???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chances are good that she's hiding in the back yard, but no, they don't typically "come home".

Obviously you are in the middle of learning this lesson, but I hope others reading this also learn that this is why you don't turn tortoises loose in the yard. They need secure enclosures.

For review:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's possible she is still in the yard, but they only need a few minutes to make a break for it. If she is still there put out some of her fav. foods, keep an eye out early morning, when they want to warm up. Put flyers around your neighborhood, plus an add on CL couldn't hurt.

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
Yeah. I did the CL posting. And her favorite food is going to be eaten my our outrageous population of rabbits before she even gets a chance at it. :(

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hope you get her back quick. I'm also thinking of Chipping some of my torts.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. There are few threads discuss this option already. Some of the vet in my area provide this service.