Low 60s Shell Temp

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have been checking Walkers temp this fall to see at what temperature he returns back to his heated house to warm up. It has been a fairly mild fall here until a couple of days ago, today it did not get above 32 F, but it was very sunny, he was out and very active for quite awhile. He ate a lot, (leaves, weeds, mazuri, and a little pumpkin). He has lived outside for several years but I never thought about checking his shell temps. When I can't find a shell temp above 65 F he is ready to get back to the heat soon. He is large and holds his body heat well, even on a cloudy day. Here he is today eating some mazuri Picture 001.jpg Picture 010.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Wow, he is awesome ! Checking shell temp sounds like a good idea.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Thanks, He is kinda Special. I have a 4 1/2 year old female leopard tortoise that lives outside all year and is usually the first one out and about on chilly to cold mornings and except for Walker usually the last to settle in for the night when the temps are warm. I know there are a few forum members that are raising leopards in cold weather areas, After a leopard tortoise learns to go inside to warm up they will, but they seem to take longer to figure this out than it takes a sulcata, Two other tidbits of information about Walker, His shell temp today about 15 minutes after he came out of his house was between 80 and 85 F and when he drinks water he swallows about every 10 seconds and will drink about a half gallon a day this time of year in one setting. Have you ever timed tortoise swallowing times?Wdrinking.jpg