Lumber Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My hubby and I are going tomorrow to buy the plywood and lumber to build the indoor/winter enclosure for my someday Hermann's tort. Once assembled, all the exposed wood surfaces will be painted first with primer and then with semi-gloss alkyd latex paint. My question: will untreated wood work as well as pressure-treated wood? I'm inclined towards untreated but I also want it to last at least a few years. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think either wood would be fine. You do need to buy a water proof paint. Like marine paint or outdoor house paint. You can also line the enclosure with plastic.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is no need to use treated lumber indoors. Untreated wood that is painted will last for years-decades in most cases. I have enclosures that made of interior plywood that were originally primed and painted with two coats of alkyd latex paint. After nearly 20 years of use they've been repainted once and they're as solid as the day they were first put into use.

You do not need to use waterproof or marine paint. Almost all paints available retail to the public today are low VOC water based paints anyway. Gloss or semi-gloss finishes make the paint easy to wipe clean. Alkyd enamel latex paints form an excellent moisture barrier to protect the wood underneath them for many, many years.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Great! That's just what I needed to know! Thanks bunches!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.