Help identify this plant please

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Ok so google so far says it's either Wandering Jew, Asiatic Dayflower, Spiderwart day lily and so many more.

It's not in the area for the tortoises but if it is a safe plant I may go ahead and move some there. It's over growing all over my front flower beds and not by choice. I keep mowing the sucker down.

Attachments

• 450897348_479511421342597_8480160138877225274_n.jpg
    450897348_479511421342597_8480160138877225274_n.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 1

COmtnLady

Colorado
I don't think it is Wandering Jew, my green ones similar to that have shorter leaves. They're the same general shape, but the leaves are only an inch or inch-and-a-half long.

Danajmc

Ireland
Erba miseria asiatica, Commelina comune, Deutsch: Gewöhnliche Tagblume
English: Asiatic dayflower
Español: Canutillo de Cuba, Asango del Japon
Français: Comméline comune

this is the closest I eyeball...

Megatron's Mom

Erba miseria asiatica, Commelina comune, Deutsch: Gewöhnliche Tagblume
English: Asiatic dayflower
Español: Canutillo de Cuba, Asango del Japon
Français: Comméline comune

this is the closest I eyeball...
Thanks, I think once that little flower actually blooms I may be able to get a better google search.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks, I think once that little flower actually blooms I may be able to get a better google search.
Not sure what it is, but there are lots of them in my yard in GA. Don't know if my tortoises ever ate them or not, although I never tried to remove those plants from my premises.

However, I can't recall ever seeing a tortoise eating that particular plant. Are yours interested in eating them or have you not given them the opportunity yet?

Megatron's Mom

Not sure what it is, but there are lots of them in my yard in GA. Don't know if my tortoises ever ate them or not, although I never tried to remove those plants from my premises.

However, I can't recall ever seeing a tortoise eating that particular plant. Are yours interested in eating them or have you not given them the opportunity yet?
It's not in the tortoise yard. Instead it over takes my flower bed. That is almost the only thing growing in there now. If it was safe for them them to eat I might dig it up to give it to them. But it is sounding like they wouldn't be interested in it anyway.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It's not in the tortoise yard. Instead it over takes my flower bed. That is almost the only thing growing in there now. If it was safe for them them to eat I might dig it up to give it to them. But it is sounding like they wouldn't be interested in it anyway.
Well, FWIW, the Tortoise Table says Wandering Jew can be fed "in moderation". So you might have a source of free food if you wanted to feed it once or twice a week or something like that.

The tortoises might not even like it, though. That would be the next question in my mind.

Here is the info from the Tortoise Table:

• Common Name: Wandering Jew (Spiderwort)
  • Latin Name: Tradescantia fluminensis; Tradescantia zebrina; Zebrina pendula; syn. Setcreasea, esp. Setcreasea pallida
  • Family Name: Commelinaceae
Tradescantia is labelled on some lists as 'mildly toxic' (can cause dermatitis) and on other lists as safe. As the dermatitis affects humans, we don't feel that there is a significant danger with this plant and so it can be offered to your tortoise, but in moderation and as part of a wider, varied diet.

Megatron's Mom

Well, FWIW, the Tortoise Table says Wandering Jew can be fed "in moderation". So you might have a source of free food if you wanted to feed it once or twice a week or something like that.

The tortoises might not even like it, though. That would be the next question in my mind.
I might try to feed them some. The hard part is remembering the stuff in the front yard lol.

Danajmc

Ireland

Here is the info from the Tortoise Table:

• Common Name: Wandering Jew (Spiderwort)
  • Latin Name: Tradescantia fluminensis; Tradescantia zebrina; Zebrina pendula; syn. Setcreasea, esp. Setcreasea pallida
  • Family Name: Commelinaceae
Tradescantia is labelled on some lists as 'mildly toxic' (can cause dermatitis) and on other lists as safe. As the dermatitis affects humans, we don't feel that there is a significant danger with this plant and so it can be offered to your tortoise, but in moderation and as part of a wider, varied diet.
Question?

Talking plant that eggrvt hunsns..

Can a tortise get stung by a nettle or thistle,
Clyde walked into nettles the other day and he went nutts🤯🤯

COmtnLady

Colorado
Here is a topic from here talking about Wandering Jew, but its important to get a definite I.D. (It makes my cats throw up when they eat it. Mostly they stay away from it though... but cats aren't reptiles - it might be bad for torts for all I know.) Maybe you could take a sprig of it to a local greenhouse or flower club to be certain.