LumenIZE Pro T5 bulbs and fixtures

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I just ordered a LumenIZE Pro T5 UVB Kit (D3+, 12% UV-B, 54 watt). Anyone else use them? Curious what your thoughts are on them. I love Arcadia products, but never used a kit with so many features before.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's still good UVB source. And a nice idea with dimmable fixtures (I was really missing dimming in their Jungle Dawn LED bar). App was glitchy at the launch, but it's updated so sooner or later they will fix all major bugs.

One thing is that with "daylight dimming" your lamp will likely run more than 4 hours a day so more frequent replacements are expected. Dimming is not to run Desert lamp with crepuscular species but to make natural fade in/outs.

Here is the test report for LumenIZE ProT5 to check out: https://tomaskas.co.uk/lamp-report-arcadia-lumenize-prot5/

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It's still good UVB source. And a nice idea with dimmable fixtures (I was really missing dimming in their Jungle Dawn LED bar). App was glitchy at the launch, but it's updated so sooner or later they will fix all major bugs.

One thing is that with "daylight dimming" your lamp will likely run more than 4 hours a day so more frequent replacements are expected. Dimming is not to run Desert lamp with crepuscular species but to make natural fade in/outs.

Here is the test report for LumenIZE ProT5 to check out: https://tomaskas.co.uk/lamp-report-arcadia-lumenize-prot5/
Nice! I'm reading the report now :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't like that its app based or proprietary. I'd like something akin to reef controllers to be tweaked and marketed towards reptile husbandry, that used a standard like 0-10v or ethernet to talk.

I'd caution against giving that report too much weight where it warns against the animals basking times, etc. Using his bearded dragon example, an hourly record of UVI from its native range during their summer showed that the UVI crosses 3 at about 830 and drops below 3 around 1630. His graph shows the lumineze crossing 2.5 at about 830 and then dropping below 3 at about 1630. So the dimming is closer to nature than blasting the animal with 4-6 uvi for however many hours he runs his uvb lamps.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I don't like that its app based or proprietary. I'd like somethin akin to reef controllers to be tweaked and marketed towards reptile husbandry, that used a standard like 0-10v or ethernet to talk.

I'd caution against giving that report too much weight where it warns against the animals basking times, etc. Using his bearded dragon example, an hourly record of UVI from its native range during their summer showed that the UVI crosses 3 at about 830 and drops below 3 around 1630. His graph shows the lumineze crossing 2.5 at about 830 and then dropping below 3 at about 1630. So the dimming is closer to nature than blasting the animal with 4-6 uvi for however many hours he runs his uvb lamps.
Fair point. I was thinking of setting the dimmer in 30 minute increments, starting about 6 am with full intensity by 6:30 am. I'd program my ambient lighting to turn on at 6:30 as well. Then dim the UVB at 5:00 pm (arbitrary time for now), shut off ambient, and shut down the UVB completely at 5:30 pm.

I say "arbitrary" since the only time I use artificial UVB is in the winter when he has limited access ro natural sunlight. What are your thoughts on that plan? Appreciate your input!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I don't like that its app based or proprietary. I'd like something akin to reef controllers to be tweaked and marketed towards reptile husbandry, that used a standard like 0-10v or ethernet to talk.

Open automation protocol would be great I agree. Maybe they will upgrade to Matter some day... However, the drawback of universal protocols is a limited feature set - like we can see with Matter vs Phillips Hue proprietary, for example.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I'd prob do longer for the UVB ramp up, 1-2 ish hours, aiming for 100% at 9 or 10.

Are you using their dimming LED for ambient lighting or something else just on/off? If the ambient is dimmed as well, I'd have that have a quicker 30ish minute ramp up earlier, 6 or 7

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'd prob do longer for the UVB ramp up, 2 ish hours, aiming for 100% at 9 or 10.

Are you using their dimming LED for ambient lighting or something else just on/off? If the ambient is dimmed as well, I'd have that have a quicker 30ish minute ramp up earlier, 6 or 7
My ambient is an LED shop light, so not dimmable. Not sure if they sell such a thing, but I'll research it. As it stands, I'll have to time it to come on when the T5 is at full output.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Maybe you have a basking lamp? I usually turn it on first. They aren't super bright, most are dimmable. And it really resembles early/late sunlight. Then non-dimmable LEDs goes on and doesn't shock much.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
With the app I am most worried about longevity. What if they just stop making updates or something? I would love it to be completely usable without the app.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Maybe you have a basking lamp? I usually turn it on first. They aren't super bright, most are dimmable. And it really resembles early/late sunlight. Then non-dimmable LEDs goes on and doesn't shock much.
I use an incandescent brooder bulb for basking, so that's definitely doable.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Cool! Tell us your complete lightning schedule once it's settled down, please :)
I have the following for my bearded dragon:
1. At 5.30 room ambient lamp comes up (starting from half-brightness and warm color temp). It's not very bright, kind of "pre sunrise". Brightness raises to full and neutral white to 6AM.
2. At 6 basking lamp lights up, he's already awake.
3. At 7.30AM "real ambient" light - Arcadia Jungle Dawn turns on. Once again, I wish it was dimmable... It's kind of a "supernova blast" usually. Room light turns off.
4. At 9AM UVB lamp turns on. Naturally we have UVI 4 at this time in summer.
5. At 5PM UVB turns off (perhaps, I'll change it to 4PM). Naturally it's the time when sunlight UVI falls lower than 4.
6. At 7PM Jungle Dawn turns off, only basking lamp is left.
7. At 8PM basking lamp shuts off (sunset time here).

Any suggestions are welcome, of course.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Cool! Tell us your complete lightning schedule once it's settled down, please :)
I have the following for my bearded dragon:
1. At 5.30 room ambient lamp comes up (starting from half-brightness and warm color temp). It's not very bright, kind of "pre sunrise". Brightness raises to full and neutral white to 6AM.
2. At 6 basking lamp lights up, he's already awake.
3. At 7.30AM "real ambient" light - Arcadia Jungle Dawn turns on. Once again, I wish it was dimmable... It's kind of a "supernova blast" usually. Room light turns off.
4. At 9AM UVB lamp turns on. Naturally we have UVI 4 at this time in summer.
5. At 5PM UVB turns off (perhaps, I'll change it to 4PM). Naturally it's the time when sunlight UVI falls lower than 4.
6. At 7PM Jungle Dawn turns off, only basking lamp is left.
7. At 8PM basking lamp shuts off (sunset time here).

Any suggestions are welcome, of course.
Will do!