Mad Dogged A Hawk Staring At My Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
So as I was feeding my torts today I noticed a Hawk on a tree at my neighbor's backyard looking at the direction of my outdoor enclosures. I stared at him and he looked at me then flew away. My enclosure is covered by the green plastic covering kind of like chicken wire. I hope this is good enough protection while I'm away. What do you all think? Sould I upgrade to something more tough? What would you have in mind? My enclosure is 30 feet by 2 1/2 feet divided into 3 sections. the sides are about more than half a foot high. Suggestions please =)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think what you have should work against a hawk.
(Night predators like raccoons, etc., might be a different story.)
Birds want to fly in and snatch the prey up, but I haven't heard any stories of them sitting on an enclosure and tearing up wire lids. They are more efficient than that, and will move on to an easier catch.

Perhaps someone else will have a different experience.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You and your torts likely made a great show for the Hawk to observe as you were him....a large red tail hawk is capable of swooping, snatching up and carrying away a chicken....however, will they opt to take on a full size chicken vs a smaller more mobile quest...yes, will they likely sit atop a screen to get to the critter inside, highly unlikely---not impossible but improbable....

If you feel secure against their immediate harm then great, if you have other predators as mentioned previously then take precautions....how large are your torts?

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
ascott said:
You and your torts likely made a great show for the Hawk to observe as you were him....a large red tail hawk is capable of swooping, snatching up and carrying away a chicken....however, will they opt to take on a full size chicken vs a smaller more mobile quest...yes, will they likely sit atop a screen to get to the critter inside, highly unlikely---not impossible but improbable....

If you feel secure against their immediate harm then great, if you have other predators as mentioned previously then take precautions....how large are your torts?

My torts in this enclosure are small. 2.5-3.5". The only one who wont have a problem is my 9" Sulcata. I only leave them here during the day and take them in during the night cuz their too young. The whole enclosure is covered by the green plastic net like thing.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Covering the enclosure should prevent raptors from getting your torts. Raptors grab and go as quickly as possible and they see the netting as making that impossible. The hawk was seeing an animal within prey range but also seeing it as a difficult capture, so looking for an easier option is the way to go.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DrewsLife727 said:
What's the best way to make it critter proof?

Built 3 - 10' X 2.5' covers out of 2 X 4s and hardware cloth.

Hinge them to the enclosure, and put hasps on each, so you can lock them..

Too heavy for rats or racoons to lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.